Keyword

TOPIC:

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46656

Popped the cover plate in some boiling water and it is nearly back in shape. Will probably do for now until I find a replacement.
Thanks for that suggestion.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46663

Always been a fan of the Bearhawk. B)

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46679

Started ordering in some new bits this week :)

Ordered a new Transmitter and Receiver.
The original Acoms Techniplus brings back memories but I find the trigger controllers much easier now (if anyone would like this and the receiver just let me know, there is a bit of a crack in the back, but it still works well).

Also ordered a new motor that is in line with the original spec, so I'll actually be able to drive this thing.
Not sure what I'll so with the 12x2 now though.

Bought a couple of new NiMH batteries. I had lots of people suggestion Lipo, but I think I'll leave that for a future update as I don't really know enough about them yet.

Finally I ordered some new wheels and tyres (went for 2.2 inch as it looks like the tyres are easier to replace)

Now I've spent all the money I can probably get away with before Christmas, I'm going to have to start planning the design of this thing.
I 'think' we are still going to go with the Post Apocalyptic / Mad Max look with a matt black body, chromed tubing and slight rusting, but I mocked up what it might look like on the PC and it looks a bit too bland. More so than I expected anyway. :(

I'm going to have to think of something to make it a little more interesting.

I think the new wheels which are spoked, might help. Then I was thinking about putting a mesh / perforated metal sheet in the side windows, but think it will still need more.
Maybe a spray painted logo on the front? Maybe additional... bits, like piping coming from the motor to make it look like a fuel container and a chain (with grapple / winch hook?) wrapped around the bars at the back?
I think it could do with a different bumper. I have never really been a fan of the big plastic looking thing that it comes with. Maybe if i could replace that with a perforated metal skid plate or a bumper made of of piping (to match the rear section)?
Hmm...

Does anyone know if the bumpers for any other cars fit this chassis?

At least I have some time to plan whilst I wait for the new parts (and more money). I think I'm going to need it. ;)
Attachments:

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46680

Gun metal or metal black could be cool. I made mine gloss black. It looks nice.
You can add a net in the front of the window and side windows nets. And make a small front bumper with a piece of alloy in diy. Maybe you could find a light bar for the roof with 2 leds.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46681

Here is mine (it has other wheeles now but always lightweight ones)
Attachments:

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46682

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm liking your Bearhawk's front wheels. Where are they from?

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46686

That's the front 4x2 option. Like the egress.

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46711

Decided I'd get some new shocks too, but I 'may' have made a mistake.
The ones I got have ball ends on them, whereas the original BearHawks didn't (they were just screwed onto the shock tower)
Should I get a ball connector screw for the shock tower, so the shocks just pop on, or would I remove the ball 'connector' from the shock?

Also, what is the benefit of the ball ends? Is it just for easier removal?

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46712

You should keep ball ends. They give a better move to the suspension.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 4 months ago #46713

Cheers, I shall get some ball connectors then. :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.