Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67840

Gearbox after initial scraping & wire brushing, ready for proper cleaning:

And the scrapings/grindings that came out of it:

Junk parts ...

... and new parts:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67847

Eww, the inside of that gearbox was really disgusting..
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67851

Seeing the price tags of 50p they must be some very old new parts. That gearbox was crusty to say the least, good job on the initial cleaning, there's a bit of work in there. Good Luck
Regards

Lee

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67878

Replacement shocks stripped, rear shocks still had a bit of oil in them, all the seals feel serviceable (but will be replaced), two of the grommets are still useable. Someone has had a go at altering the damping rate but added solder to dome the end of the shafts & filing notches in the edges.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67883

Sucks! Now I want a rough rider . :D

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67889

I must admit I am getting quite fond of the look of them too
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67947

Desk was (almost) clear for once, so I thought I'd get of with ultrasonic cleaning ... the brass bits went in a ziploc back very soon after, for better transmission of the buzz :)

All the initial cleaning done - media blasting, polishing etc still to do: 

Most of the tyres seemed to have been recently superglued &  a bit of rubber remained on many wheel parts:

If you think the workholding looks a bit ghetto I wouldn't disagree with you - but ok on a tiny lathe with low rpm & small cuts, and better than having the tool dig in & the wheels fly off :)

Chassis plate edges sanded & cleared:

Couldn't find my Autosol (just the empty box) so borrowed some Miroxol instead ... Didn't like it. I think it would give a superior result on metal that's already clean, but for restoring bit like this I wouldn't use it again. It's a bigger tube (100ml vs. 75ml) but is much more watery so I used a lot more. It also took 3 times as long - and costs twice as much. I did think at least it doesn't smell - but apparently it does, strongly, so I guess my sense of smell still isn't back properly.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67951

Nice result Jonny. 

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67979

Haven't used the media blasting cabinet since installing my "big" lathe & relegating it to under bench storage, so setting it up was a bit of a palaver ... on the plus side the "new" green compressor performed a lot better than the old blue one, despite having very similar specs.

Cast parts (and the 2 tubes that would not come off) got their holes bunged up with M2, M3 and M4 machine screws as applicable to protect the threads, then a blast with recycled glass grit, then micro beads, then back into the ultrasonic tank before being dried.
I will need to try & get the 2 stuck tubes back a more correct "brushed" finish, and the inside of the gearbox shows scars from the corrosion, but I'm pretty happy :)

The front right knuckle (the one that was still on the chassis) had damage to the M2 thread so has had a V-Coil insert.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 2 years 7 months ago #67980

I cut two strips of blocks out of the 2nd best pair of tyres, then superglued them back together. I was sure I had a new tube of Rubber Toughened to use but couldn't find it. Gorilla Super Glue Gel worked very well though. :)

I'm guessing these are more a 515 than 915 now, so scanned a tyre & redrew the lettering to make set of decals on the plotter. I reasoned that complete replacement would look better than all paint apart from the leading 5, so dremelled off the outlines before having to stick the letters on individually ... not sure that was the right choice TBH.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.