Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72597

24mm of floor cut out, some of the scrap used for internal bridging of the front & back:

Lots cut out/dremelled off the front & rear + wheelarches, worst of the gaps filled with silver/grey Milliput:

Loose fit on SRB chassis, rear cage is going to be more of a problem than I first thought - thinking of shortenting it ATM

Front top panel is only 5mm away from lining up with the body post coming out of the centre of the spare wheel.

I'll need to make a longer post, but before that I've cut everything at right angles so I can cheat the wheel boss back a little by cutting the top of the loose panel, and adding a strip in front. 
I'll also need to do a bit of internal bridging + filling on the outside.    

I'm quite pleased with how it's going so far,  I think this would be a great kit to build in it's own right :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72598

Yeahhhh so nice Jon, I have an idea to avoid the use of the beta clip. The fifth wheel is on the hood where you have the front body post. So you could make a front body post with a screw and use the wheele with a nylstop inside to maintain the body. 
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72614

Like the afrika korps or Flat sand yellow and brown camo?  ...[/attachment]
my  kubel rc is like this one.

I saw one of those on eBay UK (www.ebay.co.uk/...5415142214), it went to 120 GBP really quickly, finishing at 157 GBP + post 

The 4 paint schemes Italeri show for the kit are all ones that saw service in Italy between 1943 and 1945:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72615

Yeahhhh so nice Jon, I have an idea to avoid the use of the beta clip. The fifth wheel is on the hood where you have the front body post. So you could make a front body post with a screw and use the wheele with a nylstop inside to maintain the body. 

I'd like to do that, but the angle between the body post & the front of the car (30 degrees or so?) will be a problem ...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72616

More of the back end built up, easiest option for fitting was to fix the rear body clip backwards, directly to the underside of the rear deck, having removed the dip under where the grab handle would go. I've notched the SRB rear cage so I won't have to modify that, and I can keep the stock whippy antenna :)

That did kick the the back end of the body up more than I'd have liked, so I've put some scrap styrene spacers under the rear arm stops to bring it back level. I'll come up with something more permanent before I'm done.

Ideally I'd have taken less than the 24/25mm slice out of the middle of the car - 5mm less would have been better but I only know that now that the body position is finalised, it's too late now.

I've take the same oversize slice out of two of the doors.

Next step is sanding all that grey filler.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, Lemsko, Ducksnuts

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72617

That Kuebel looks great, cute model

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72618

I'd like to do that, but the angle between the body post & the front of the car (30 degrees or so?) will be a problem ...
and with a UJ joint or similar system?

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72687

Made some progress on this, mostly putting on as much of the detail as I can before primer & paint.

I have modified some bits or there placement to make them a bit less fragile - for example the rear number plate & rear light are moved over & fixed differently to the manual, I've used the spade handle to brace the left headlight, windscreen (less "glass") is glued at the hinges & buffers, etc etc. Rea seat base had to go on further back & higher, just to get some separation from the front seats, which had to got in a bit forward of the ideal position. 

The plan is to have a small Lipo (or 2x 18650 cell holder), small 27mhz RX, BEC & close coupled TEU101BK ESC fixed to a panel over the gearbox. The servo is taped to the chassis plate as none of the holes lined up to use servo mount blocks, the hole in the floor to clear it is bigger than ideal but I just couldn't get the body on without clearance.

Simple solutions are usually the best, turns out I didn't need to make a new front body post, an R clip does a great job after I put a clearance slot & hole in the spare wheel boss.

Haven't decided what to do with the roof, it'll either go on last, folded, or not at all :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, AJB, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72688

The seat material may be better for realism with no work, but TBH I'd rather it was the same plastic as the rest of the kit. I also made an error in thinking the front seat back & base would fit, allowing me to glue the frames in before paint. They don't, the frames would have needed considerable fettling (narrowing) before hand :( Some mods, and superglue will be the answer, later.

A completely open car like this really needs a driver, I thought the 4x4 sprue was the best Tamiya option. There's a helmet in the Italeri kit, so I first gave the driver a severe haircut (a Lobot-otomy?) to make the webbing fit. I also had to take 6-7mm out of the forearms - and the same out of the steering column (which I did really badly, that'll need some rework) to make room. 

I need to tidy up the new arm joins, and remove the gilet shoulders once things have set, and maybe add some epaulettes.
Already broken off the mirror 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Ducksnuts

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 1 year 6 months ago #72689

Great work, looks fantastic. Also nice driver figure

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.