Keyword

TOPIC:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 4 years 10 months ago #55353

Wow, looks amazing Jonny!
Thanks for the follow up, Really nice build of a great car and I enjoyed watching the Malcolm Smith video again :)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 4 years 3 weeks ago #58460

Nice work on the replica bel ray bullet makes me want to make one too someday..🙂
Wild willy superchamp
Scorcher blackfoot

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60730

I believe I've given this idea more than enough thinking time now ... more to follow :)

This is from the instruction sheet from the Brat body set (dated 1983) - note the portion to be cut out from the truck bed, this is also marked by a heavy recessed line on the Brat body, even the re-release. The forward edge of the hole is for the MSC fitted to the Super Champ, the rear for the oil bottle, and the wide sides for the aluminium roll hoop.

Note the rear body mounts on the Super Champ chassis go through the forward mount points for the Brat's plastic roll cage, which means it can't be fitted.

There's no mention of the front body mount point, which is a bit of a swizz as I can't see how the Super Champ front post will reach.

Theoretically, I could get (or make) a Superchamp top deck, risers & rear body posts & sort something for the front - and get a Super Champ MSC ... to cut to the chase, I just had a look at my Brats with toppers reference pics, and I've kind of gone of the idea - it'd be at least this ugly - and with a "Truggy" wheel layout :S

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60734

An american president had one :D

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60737

Super Champ I bought at the end of last year ... I paid quite a premium for it at the time but it will need going through at some point. It's had a rather half assed restoration & even a casual look shows stripped threads, loose fasteners that suggest more stripped threads and/or damaged heads, many of the fasteners are incorrect, it's been rebuilt with well worn bronze bearings, and the rear suspension is very loose & floppy suggesting wrong or very worn parts :S Still, it looks clean :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60738

An american president had one :D

It was Reagan :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, mongoose1983

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60739

My re-release Brat ... I bought a fresh set of decals & replacement "glass" in anticipation or a repaint but it will do for the moment.

Cut line on underside of bed, most of of which just needed 2 or 3 passes with a scalpel. The nodules needed a quick tickle with a wee saw.

Wow, what a half-assed, ugly kludge :S ... most of the hole is unnecessary, and doesn't even work properly - not only does it foul on the MSC wiring, it doesn't have adequate clearance for the nut on the oil bottle, meaning there's no way the body can sit level enough for the front wheels to rotate freely.

Attachments:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60740

Wheel swap means I'm half way to another Frog ...

... so I've started on a Penguin Customs shell. This is much better formed than the last one I had from them (much less bulbous around the top rear) but the wing had no indication of where it should be cut ... main body has been masked up for the black roof rails & is currently outgassing in the shed...

Attachments:

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60741

Rear bed notched, but the incomplete development (at the very least) continues with the bracket that holds the tailgate on fouls the rear cage & the "FS" bracket that hold the Super Champ rear bumper on...

I can't go any further without a front body post, I'm not aware of any Tamiya part or combination of parts that would work - no wonder it's missed out of the instructions :whistle:

Dimensions required are a 86.4mm long, 7mm OD round rod, the bottom 27.2mm need to be turned down to 6mm OD, bored & tapped for M4 thread. The top 7.7mm needs to be turned down to 4mm OD, domed & drilled for a body clip.

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

The Other SRBs: Bel Ray Bullet, Super Brat, Kubelwagen, VW Thing/Trekker 3 years 9 months ago #60767

Hey Jonny!
Thanks for making the cut on the Brat body and trying it on the super champ, I have always wondered, and almost bought a spare shell to try it out. Now that I see it I am not sure I want to anymore :silly: .
I am sure you will make it right but it's not as straight forward as I thought it would be and always gets back to the original question....why? I guess someone at the big T thought an alternate shell for the Super Champ would be a nice idea, a top heavy idea on a buggy that was already too heavy but hey why not. I will keep watching as I am sure the missing body post won't be too much of a challenge for ya ;)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.