Keyword

TOPIC:

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48268

I've picked up the building of a CS Countach body set after it's been on hold for many months.

Some of the interior details has been done earlier, so the main challenge is painting the main body. I glued some of the parts earlier, but only those going to be spray painted gloss black. Some other details are painted flat black on the sprue.

First task was to prime and sand the the body, which resulted in this:

Then the finishing touches on the details, like rear lights and the driver:

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Purple_rob, goldfish999

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48269

I'm not very good at painting hard plastic, so one going to be black is extra daunting...
I'm reasonably happy with the result, in spite some dust in the paint. There just one layer of black, no clear coat.

Evan after the main colour, there is still a lot of painting to be done on the body. There are many areas which is supposed to be flat black. I brought the 58005 Countach out of shelf life just to get some inspiration and an overview of all the details I did back then.

Next up is masking I guess...
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Last edit: by larbut.

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48275

Very impressive Lars.
Your black is very glossy. And the red one is amazing.

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48281

Very impressive Lars.
Your black is very glossy. And the red one is amazing.

Thanks. The gloss is ok, the dust is not...

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48282

Maybe with a light buffing?

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48283

You know this is now my favourite thread on here :P

They look great Lars, if you've already put enough paint down I am sure some 2000+ grit paper to knock the dust off and then clear coat will be fine.

I also find it extremely hard on painting them black. I always pick up dust in my painting and have to set it right. This is one of the reasons my Countach thread stalled, I lacquered it and had to flat it out. Then polish those parts up with some compound polish. it takes so long...

I am interested in your technique for glueing the window in, they are quite a terrible fit I find. I normally do it in stages with some two part epoxy resin. By holding a section in place I basically dab a bit of glue on the body inside and overlap the glass a little. I find that putting any time of glue under window to adhere it to the body just oozes out the edges. It's literally mm of space to glue it.

I am sure you have all you need, but if you need anything give me a shout.

Looking forward to seeing the progress :y:

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48296

I decided to move along without doing anything to the finish. It's ok for me and I might buff a little later...

So, masking again and started painting the flat black portions. I kind of feel my age now..;-)... It's bloody hard to see anything painting black on black!

I tried Tamiya's curved masking tape for the first time. So far so good.

I also paint the inside of the front headlights although the manual doesn't say so.

More later..
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Purple_rob

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48298

It looking very nice Lars
I know what ya mean about black on black, I have to wear binoculars nowadays :cry:

Countach body set build 6 years 2 months ago #48299

I am interested in your technique for glueing the window in, they are quite a terrible fit I find. I normally do it in stages with some two part epoxy resin. By holding a section in place I basically dab a bit of glue on the body inside and overlap the glass a little. I find that putting any time of glue under window to adhere it to the body just oozes out the edges. It's literally mm of space to glue it.

I have test fitted the window, and it's not completely bad, but I remember from the red one the pain of getting enough (but not too much) glue on a lot of places, position the glass (without getting glue on the wrong places) before the glue dries, and then having enough hands/fingers to hold the window in place for long enough. :unsure:

This time, I masked on the inside of the body, where the glue is supposed to go. My thinking is that I can then minimise the amount of glue, and maybe get away with it.

I can't remember from the red one, but the dash is supposed to hold the bottom edge of the front window in place, more or less?

Last edit: by larbut.

Countach body set build 6 years 1 month ago #48442

We are all dying for an update Lars :).

On your window comment, yes the dash just pushes it up. I do like to run a very small bead of glue along it, or at least a few retaining spots. The one I have just done was my own dash and it's been 10 years since I glue another one in, so cannot recall totally. It's defiantly back to the drawing board for my copy Windows though. Maybe I'll post an update on my thread.

Looking forward to seeing new pics though...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.