Keyword

TOPIC:

Re:Richard's Falcon basket case project. Looks like a Falcon chassis now... 5 years 6 months ago #52326

I got spare original front bodies think those came from a Manta Ray
Here is a pic of the original rubber thingie

Sent using Tapatalk

Yep they look the same as mine :y:
Both the front rubber seals burst while compressing the shock.
Think that is down to age and the fact these must have been dry ish for å long time so the seals got hard over time.
The were just a few drops of oil left in each shock, the o-rings were rock hard too.

Rebuilt them using new red o-rings.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Looks like a Falcon chassis now... 5 years 6 months ago #52327

the shocks got discussed over here

Thank you, that was a good reading.
Been a bit Sherlock myself last night.

Seems that most vehicles (off-road) have Short shock set fitted with various lengths.
I do have a spare Manta Ray chassis, I think it has shocks fitted still, and I have a couple of long ones in my spare parts bin, between them I should be able to make some good shocks.
Just hope the rubber seals are not gone on those as well.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Looks like a Falcon chassis now... 5 years 6 months ago #52328

And after reading up one Falcon setups, several has mention to fit Lunchbox springs in the rear, got loads of those!
It has also been recomended to fit the 4 hole piston and 20-30w oil for the rear shock.
Think I have spare pistons somewhere...

A bit lowering in front is also recomended.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Looks like a Falcon chassis now... 5 years 6 months ago #52364

I have been staring at my Falcon, and something has been a bit off, but couldn't set my finger on it.
Not until yesterday when I studied, the shock caps are swapped front to back, no idea why the previous owner did that.

Took apart the rear shocks, and what did I find??
One shock had the oil seal missing, the other one had the seals, but the lower e-clip was dangeling at the bottom of the shock.

Swapped the caps back to front and visa versa, so now I got two working shocks and the other two needs new oil seals since my parts bin shocks did either missing them, or had the early spring in cap system.

But I did manage to fit the piston with 4 holes in it and add Lunchbox springs to the rear shocks :y:
Now they are nice and soft, but too soft actually, so I'm going to swap the 30w oil for a bit thicker. :)

Can someone comfirm these will work with my shocks, and if so why are they only labeled for Mini Shock II units?

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Looks like a Falcon chassis now... 5 years 6 months ago #52380

From this

To this

Shock caps are now fitted to their right end of the vehicle.
And just by changing the caps, the shocks actually works now, with no leakage too :woohoo:

The front shocks also got a 10mm spacer each as they were way to long, look at the first picture to get the right idea.
Basicly the stood on top of their travel all the time, and was very stiff.

Front shock had one hole piston, it was not working at all.
With 30wt oil and the piston with the biggest two holes it, it now works awesome with damping as it should, feels soft and it raises itself 80% of the way up agian, which is perfect :y:

Rear shocks got 4 hole piston and Lunchbox springs, one great thing as these springs is softer and have no rust as the orginal springs.
But the 4 hole piston is too much, even with 60wt oil.
I will test with either two or three hole pistons and 30wt oil, I think it will fit it much better.
As it stands now it feels too "springy", with minimal damping.

But we are getting there :y:

Some of you shelfer builders must moan by now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Al

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Looks like a Falcon chassis now... 1 year 6 months ago #72820

Oh wow, nearly 4 year since last update on this... 

A generous person in USA sent me this for free. The C4 hinge part for the battery strap.
One thing less missing on this.

Fitted
My 3d printed battery strap fitted perfectly

Guess the next step is to fit the MSC back on if I find it...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, GToddC5

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.