Keyword

TOPIC:

Richard's Falcon basket case project. 5 years 11 months ago #49738

A bit tired today, so haven't done that much..

But the painted bolts and screw pins looks much better now, not perfect, but good enough for a runner..
Loads better than rusted anyway :lol:

Started on the chassis to

I opend the crack with my dremel to get a clean cut and glued in a scrap piece of styrene with that Gorilla glue I bought.
The package states impact tough, so time will tell

I learned a trick from Pintopower to use superglue as a filler since superglue sands easely, so I glued the rear holes as well

Sanding and painting next week weather permitting :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. 5 years 11 months ago #49771

I'm a real fan of the Gorilla Gel Superglue, glues allmost everything, strong, and sands easely if covering up holes etc..

I cut down the piece of styrene I added to the crack in the tub and sanded it down, this is finally going in the right directions :y:

Sanded down the holes as well..

And first pass with the 240 grit paper

I've also received a bunch of parts to replace the items that has gone in the skip.
Bearings also ordered today, so I can finally build the transmission and drivetrain when they arrive.

Yes, I need to clean my work bench, but I'm not in the mood for that :laugh:

Richard's Falcon basket case project. 5 years 11 months ago #49772

That is a nice tlc Richard.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. 5 years 11 months ago #49773

Wow that's really nice work there :)
I honestly I never considered just painting the screw heads....looks really good! This is going to be a great car, I am looking forward to your long term report on the Gorilla glue, it's always good to learn a new trick :y:
I did not know Falcons had been going up in price, they were a fun car back in there day, had one quite awhile ago.....no, no, no, I musen't start looking for another project...too many now.....;)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Last edit: by oldwilly.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. 5 years 11 months ago #49776

Willy it's too late... same if the falcon is one of the worst I had, that is a nice car ;)

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Repair job has started... 5 years 11 months ago #49782

Thank you guys :y:
I'm really looking forward to the Gorilla long term test myself, I think this has given me several ways to save different chassis.

And typical, now there is several Falcons on ebay that would have fitted my price range is it had been a few weeks ago, oh well..

My ebay chassis turned up, as for now I'm not really sure if I should use this or use my orginal one.
Resaon being, mine going to be a runner, items needs to be painted anyway such as suspension parts, and the chassis lugs on the bottom of the front bulkhead needs to be cut away as the ear is broken and a bit battered after use.
More on that later...
Here is the ebay chassis

And got bits to replace the parts that I could not save.
Not all will be used on this build, but both of bulkhead items, bottom suspension arms, rear trailing arms and the uprights will be used :)

And started to primer up some bits as the weather got a bit better this afternoon, a bit windy, but I managed anyway :)

And I think I'm either make a metal chassis brace, and use the front section of the orginal bumper.
Or buy the CRP chassis brace and a new bumper, and make a spacer for the CRP due I need to cut away the part of the bottom bulkhead where it secure to the chassis as it missing one of the ear to secure it to the chassis.
Bulkhead also needs a bit modding as one of the inside support pole that the top half of bulkhead screws into, is a bit mangled.
But I will be able to use both parts :-)

Make the brace myself is far cheaper, but I'm not that good with metal lol

Which way would you do it?, mind it's gonna be a runner..
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Repair job has started... 5 years 11 months ago #49820

The bulkhead bits I received from Lars, that I very much needed to be able to complete this build.
Top bit is perfect for my use, the lower part is missing one side of the part that secures to the chassis.

I'm still able to use these buy cutting of the missing bit in the rear, and use the CRP chassis brace to hold everything in place.

The lower bit had damaged to the rear post that goes inside to secure the top and bottom part to eachother.
I first drilled the post from the bottom with a 3mm drill bit, cut down the post and fitted a threaded post from a ORV.
Worked perfectly for my need :y:

Counter sunk the hole for the bottom bolt..

And primed some more bits..
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Repair job has started... 5 years 11 months ago #49821

[quote="caprinut" post=49820...
Counter sunk the hole for the bottom bolt..

...[/quote]

Countersunk? With what? The badword of a passing Badger ?! ;)

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Repair job has started... 5 years 11 months ago #49822

A not so sharp counter sunk tool, seems worse than in real life really.
And it had to be done in a angle, due the post is is angled.

Richard's Falcon basket case project. Repair job has started... 5 years 8 months ago #50883

Bugger, I'm currently stationed at a CFS/ME rehab centre about 2 hours drive from where I live.

Took the Falcon bits with me to have something to do when there is nothingg happning.
Thought I had all the bits with me to be able to get it to a roller stage.

But missing a few hardware and and the rear trailing arm mounting blocks, so I could only do one side.
I used the ebay chassis as the orginal one still needs some work to be perfect.

But at least it looks better than I started...

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, Al

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.