Keyword

TOPIC:

Richard's TA02 Zakspeed Capri project. Vintage chassis. 5 years 8 months ago #51087

A few may seen the free TA02 chassis I got last week, if not here it is again.

First task was to figure out what this was from factory, as the former owner had no clue at all.
So the last days I've searched and downloaded a few manuals as I go.

And this evening I'm pretty sure what this is.

The clues is as follows:

# TA02 tub - duh :laugh:
# TA01 front and rear suspension.
# 255mm wb.
# 17t pinion
# The narrow rally type front bumper.

With those clues in hand I can fairly surely say it's either the 58136 Toyota Prerunner or the 58146 Chevy S10 as they are the only ones that all the items listed above.

All parts have now been washed and inspected, and all parts cleaned up very well with some old fashioned elbow grease.
Cleaned all parts beside the rear ball diff, need to take my time there as this is my first ball diff rebuild.
A nice bonus, it was fully ball raced, good ones too.

Missing, mangled, wrong parts:
# Missing the little rear bumper.
# Missing shocks, may have some non Tamiya somewhere.
# Bottom of front gearbox web inside the suspension arm is bent, but fully useable still.
# Tub and front bumper heavly rashed.
# Wrong servo mounts
# One drivecup on gearbox side is worn in the slot.
# All 4 body post's are bent.

All in all very happy with my freeby :y: :y:

Now, what to do with it??
Well, I have a unpainted Zakspeed Capri body from the awful TT02 kicking around after selling the chassis.
Think that is the plan if I can overcome the wheelbase issue.

The S10/Prerunner is a 255mm wb rig with the TA01 arms on both ends.
Have yet to find suspension arms that is about 4-5mm shorter, or further towards the center of chassis if you will as the Zakspeed Capri has a wb of 251mm.
I may end up grinding the suspension mounting point for the rear arms to move them forward.
In my stack of unfinished rigs I have two other TA01/02 based I can steal the gearbox housing from if they are a bit more worn than my current ones, as I think they are too good to cut up really.

I will snap some pictures as I go along, but tomorrow I'm gonna help a mate with a brake job on his Mazda.
Maybe a couple of days before update..

Ohh, and the annual Capri meeting is less than a month away, and I really want to drive that Capri body this year.
Been collecting dust since the Capri were released.

BTW: The motor installed is a Reedy Esprit Ultimate of some sort as it has adjustable timing.
The one for 4wd fitment is listed as a 15 turn (Ultimate ES 4).
And the leads fell off while handling the motor when dismantling the chassis lol

That's all for now :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51088

Mmmmm. Very nice Richard. :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51090

Looks like a great project, Richard!
Keep us posted on the progress :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51118

I have loads of spare TA01,02 parts if you need anything richard
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, caprinut

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51119

Woooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Lovely sets. <3

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51179

Wow that is some serious amount of TA01/02 stuff right there.
Now I know who to turn to if I'm missing something..

As some of my FB friends may have seen, my week did not go according to plan.
I'm now in the hospital on day two, and they are still not really sure what's wrong.
Possibly stomach infection.

Anyway I'm feeling better with all the stuff they are giving me, so hopefully sometime next week things should be back to normal ish for me.

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51190

That sucks! I hope that you will be fastly better. Crossed fingers.

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 8 months ago #51196

Get well soon dude :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Al

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 7 months ago #51245

I'm back.
Today is the first day I'm feeling better.
I got out from the hospital on Monday, but got sick the next day and have been ill up to yesterday.

Still have to visit my doctor on regular basis as there is a couple of things they need to watch closely.

Anyway over to the Tamiya stuff.
I had the urge to start the rebuild today,

All parts cleaned up nicely with some elbow grease.
The only thing I've not cleaned so far is the ball diff, I will that at later stage when I'm feeling it.

Step 2 in the manual

I'm jumping over the motor install step for now and continue to mount to fit the rear gears

Gears are in, gearbox lid are secured, so are shock tower and camber rods thingy together with drive joints (Step 7)

Next are suspension bits, only showing one side here (hub is for the other side).
Since this gonna be a runner I won't replace the arms at this moment, think I got new ones somewhere..

Last step for today..
Step 9

Richard's Vintage TA02 chassis build. Orginally either a 58136 or 58146. 5 years 7 months ago #51250

I am glad you feel better. Nice cleaning with plastics. :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.