Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56045

Hey guys, I have a Tamiya Bullhead from back in the 90s that I'm trying to get running again. I got a new control and receiver for it, but something in the truck keeps shorting out the receiver. At this point I thought I would just replace the electronics in the truck such as the speed control, steering servo, and the 4 AA battery pack and power switch. Since the original parts are hard to find I thought I would up grade to the new parts, but I'm not sure were to start. I know they have new electronic speed controls, but are they compatible with the original motors? Any advice or info you can offer would be great.
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56046

Welcome on board :y: B)

Having two motors complicates things, you either need an ESC for dual/double motors (e.g. www.modelsport....cts/440053) or one rated at least twice the capacity of the motors - e.g if you have the original "silvercan" motors (which are 27 turns), you need an ESC rated at 13.5 turns or lower (e.g. www.modelsport....ucts/31550). Either of these will do away with the need for the 4xAA battery pack on the truck.

Steering servo will depend on your budget, but any "standard" sized servo should get you moving (e.g. www.modelsport....cts/418795).

:)

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56053

Yes they are the original motors in the truck, I'm assuming they are brushed motors.
Would this ESC work? its for brushed motors over 25 turns.
ESC 106BK
So if the AA battery pack is eliminated with this mechanism, then is everything powered off the 6-cell 7.2V battery pack?

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56054

Yes they are the original motors in the truck, I'm assuming they are brushed motors.
Would this ESC work? its for brushed motors over 25 turns.
ESC 106BK
So if the AA battery pack is eliminated with this mechanism, then is everything powered off the 6-cell 7.2V battery pack?

ESC: Short answer - no. you will kill it.

Long answer - yes, but only if you run the motors in series (like the "economy" setting) or get two of the same ESCs & run them in parallel, one per motor. that ESC is for motors 25 & up to the limit of what's available in terms of wind, 85T or so? More motor winds = less power (and less winds, more power). In your case 27T + 27T -> 13.5T so you need and esc rated at a number lower than that, e.g. a 12T ESC will handle a single motors of 12T up to 85T, or two motors 24T to 85T.

Battery: Yes.

:)

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56056

I might not be understanding the whole Turn thing as I'm not an avid RC guy, but the ESC in the link says it's rated for dual motors over 25 turns, so I'm confused why your saying it won't work.

Thanks for your help

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56057

whoops, my mistake :blush: Link wasn't working earlier & I mixed the numbers up in my head.

That ESC would be fine :y:

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 8 months ago #56065

Confirmed. I use that ESC in my Clod with 2 motors, and even though my model is more than twice as heavy as normal with aluminum wheels, it always has worked fine.

Rebuilding Vintage Tamiya Bullhead 4 years 7 months ago #56079

Double confirmed lol. I use the 106bk in my Bullhead with dual Sport Tuned motors. I routed the wired through the plastic tray (made holes for them) to keep things tidy..

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.