Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56235

I've been looking for threads about the topic but couldn't find any, so I'm starting this one hoping to get my new toys out on the tarmac, or off road for that matter. I've watched some youtube about the basics of glow engine cars, like how to tune the intakes and how to run-in the motor. And I've bought a few additional accessories on ebay like a starter kit with the glow-plug battery, a fuel bottle with a long pipe, but no fuel yet. I'd gratefully accept any advice about these fossil fueled wagons, and how to make the most fun with them.

Here's what I have. The big one I bought from Japan (ebay), it's Tamiya's 1/8 scale TGX-Mk1 chassi with an Opel body already built and ready to drive. The smaller one is Tamiya's new 1/10 scale "TG10-Mk2 FZ" with the Raikiri body.

The TG10 I've already toyed with some and yesterday I ended up bastardizing it into a little monster with a very different purpose than the box-art road racer. Since I already have one electric Raikiri on a TT-02 chassi, I've decided to make my TG10 a more capable vehicle. Changing the springs and the wheels, adjusting the stop-screws on each arm, the chassi now floats much higher than before.

I've even managed to install a stabilizer (for the XV-01) across the rear, to make it more stable on gravel due to the now softer suspension.

So, I seem already having great fun with my little buzzers here. What I would really love to know is what kind/brand of fuel you guys use, how you solve the electrical like what battery/batteries you are using to make changing/chargin simpler, and about any hacks you may have to share. Thanks in advance and let's hope my glow engine career will not last too long, I already see some of my neighbors calling the police.

Regarding body, I was thinking like this.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by uncletom.

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56236

Hi,
I love the look of that Holiday Buggy body on that gas chassis! It will be the fastest HB !

Unfortunately i can’t help you with gas RC as i do not have any experience....
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56238

I used 20 25% of nitro. Any brand is good.
Nice gp holiday Tom. The tgx was sold to with a impreza body in rallye version with a lexan bathtube protector.

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56241

Thanks guys. Ok, 20% mixture, I've heard is good. I'll check it with my local shop here.

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56243

I used 10 15 20 and 25%
The better and poluvalent is 20 25% More kills the engine faster :p

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56250

Funny, I was sorting my shelves and was reminded when I moved it that this is a build I need to complete :P Which is also why I have been selling off models :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Last edit: by larbut. Reason: closed the quote

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56253

Oh nice! Is that a Brat/Frog chassi under the Holiday body?

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56256

Nasty, unreliable, stinky, antisocial things .... no excuse now that electric motor & battery technology has advanced to the point of equal if not superior performance.

;)

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56270

Oh nice! Is that a Brat/Frog chassi under the Holiday body?

Yes it's the blue Bush Devil ORV chassis with a matching CRP bumper/ I put this aside as I was having trouble making the steering work/suit, I have now got some BF parts to try. Really just need to sort that out, apply the stickers and some electric's and it's ready to go :)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Uncletom's glow engine cars 4 years 7 months ago #56285

Looking forward to your finished Holiday Brat then, Andy! ;)

Hahah.. I love Jonny's view on things, as well as the challenge to convert him (have you ever tried nitro?).

Let us begin with "nasty"; yes, the nitro cars may very well be nasty, and pretty wicked. Then again so can the electric vehicles, especially when on those awesome LIPO cells.

What about "unreliable". Well, this would depend on the setup and how well the car is built and things secured. Reliabillity comes with experience and knowledge about the stuff you're working on, in any matter.

Now "stinky". Oh that smell, aaahh... mmmh.. , surely this is a matter of taste. I have smelled nitro once in my life, last year on a track not too far away from here as there was a training session going on. There were both electric cars and nitro cars on the asfalt track. I am the sort of person who enjoys the smell of gasoline, nitro, and exhaust of various sorts, in particular lawn mowers in summer when there's the smell of freshly cut grass in the mix.

... "antisocial". Hmm, I wasn't aware I was social to begin with, so being anti social isn't something I worry about. My observation that day on the track was that there were more than one guy driving a nitro car, so I guess there are groups that race together at times ;)

And ".. no excuse now that electric motor & battery technology has advanced to the point of equal if not superior performance."
- No excuse needed. As a little boy I had a small steam engine, you know one of those table top things that just spin. Well, not just spin, they need a fire under the water tank, and they need you watching the preassure, the fire, the rotation speed, and the level of water in the tank. Basically you're forced into engineering if you want the machine to work for you. It's one of those man-machine things, pretty rare nowadays as cars need computers and satellites more than a person driving it.

Besides, Jonny you forget about the noise these little buzzers make, and the dirty oily stuff that little motor spits out. And lastly, it's not all about speed and RPMs. "Performance" can mean alot of things to alot of people, personally I find the function of the clutch very fascinating, as well as the brake disc connected to the same servo as the throttle, working in opposite to each other.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.