Keyword

TOPIC:

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57408

Interesting.
Dont know if it was used much in the uk or if the car has been imported.
Manual is in english. Came from a house clearance type place so who knows.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57409

Hmmmm, seems i probably need both front knuckles :(

New foams for front wheels seem.easy enough to get in all kinds of different compounds. Wide for the rear is looking a little trickier though. Anyone know of anything that fits? I guess i could make a wide tyre from two narrow fronts.

Last edit: by Graemevw77.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57410

For your front tires, you should be able to mount rm01 tires. Same if they aren't diplo ones.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57411

I was tempted to see if rn01 wheels would fit too, not looked into it yet.
Are rm01 wheels 35mm diameter too then? Do they have wider rears?

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57412

Yes they have wider rear wheeles. I haven't the rm here. But they should fit
The following user(s) Liked this: Graemevw77

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57415

Ive had a look, the overall tyre diameter on the rear looks a little small.
Does anyone know the diameter of rm01 rear tyres and if there is any way rm01 wheels might fit on this chassis?

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57416

I had a lot of success in my Countach restoration (which I need to get back too one of these days :blink: ) in using hot water to seperate and remove glue.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Graemevw77

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57428

The Countach as many know is my favorite Tamiya car, I look forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Windows are impossible to replace, so if I have any advice, don't break that. All the other parts come up every now and then. If you get really stuck with something on the body, give me a shout.

As for foam fronts, I could help you out there. Are your tyres glued on? Maybe there's more detail in your post I missed but you'f need to find a foam tyre to go on your wheels or period correct alternatives. All the new hex fitment wheels will not fit on the knuckles. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Graemevw77

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57429

The Countach as many know is my favorite Tamiya car, I look forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Windows are impossible to replace, so if I have any advice, don't break that. All the other parts come up every now and then. If you get really stuck with something on the body, give me a shout.

As for foam fronts, I could help you out there. Are your tyres glued on? Maybe there's more detail in your post I missed but you'f need to find a foam tyre to go on your wheels or period correct alternatives. All the new hex fitment wheels will not fit on the knuckles. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

The tyres on the car are ok. The wheels are good too. Tyres are glued.
However, the front diplo are a bit hard and im sure they wouldnt withstand running. So what im after is another set of wheels i can use for running (probably only once for 5 mins), so anything that fits it ok. I guess my best wheel solution would be a set of second hand rims i can put new modern foams on.
A set of 58005 wheels with rubber tyres would also be a nice option but i dont want to spend loads on a set of wheels and tyres just for the odd running session. It will be displayed with its original wheels.

They have always been a favourite of mine too, just never got to own one!

There are a few body pieces i need (wiper, one mirror, one exhaust, number plate) but i have my eye on some pieces. If it falls through ill update this thread.

Windows in next update ?

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57430

Spent today getting the body apart and cleaning off paint.

Its all apart!
Removing the windows was the mist nerve wracking thing ive done in the world of RC!
They are ok though.
A small piece stayed on the body but nothing thats seen. There is one tiny crack but i have some funky solvent that may well sort that. Its barely noticeable though.
Everything else came out. I soaked it in hot water which didnt seem to do much, but desolvit seems to harden styrene cement as well as removing paint so things started to break apart a little easier.
The rear wing chrome isnt great, but what are peoples thoughts? Keep the chrome as it is for the sake of originality or do what i think id rather and paint it black?

The roof has a crack in the centre from the windscreen back but the original builder glued it when he put the screen in soni guess he broke it then. Its minor and ill solvent weld it back together before prepping it for paint.
Im undecided how to do the flat black sections of the body. Ill paint and lacquer the whole lot, then probably mask to spray the flat black but not sure if ill use flat black paint or flat lacquer for those sections. Any opinions which would work best?

Thanks.
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.