Keyword

TOPIC:

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57459

My plan on this is to clean the area up as good as possible and maybe use some clear resin to rebuild that section of window. Anyone attempted anything similar?

I've used Humbrol clearfix to make small windows & carefully bonded sacrificial bit of other clear windows & CD cases to fix holes :)

It will never be run with am radio gear and the 2.4ghz aerial will probably be able to be hidden inside but im still unsure. Leave the hole? After all, it is period. Or fill as it would look better on the shelf?

If it's going to spend most of it's life on a shelf I think being the best 1:12 representation of the real thing is the most important, not being 100% period correct or the best setup for the 5 minutes you're going to run it ... I'd fill the hole & paint the wing black :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Graemevw77

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57460

My plan on this is to clean the area up as good as possible and maybe use some clear resin to rebuild that section of window. Anyone attempted anything similar?

I've used Humbrol clearfix to make small windows & carefully bonded sacrificial bit of other clear windows & CD cases to fix holes :)

It will never be run with am radio gear and the 2.4ghz aerial will probably be able to be hidden inside but im still unsure. Leave the hole? After all, it is period. Or fill as it would look better on the shelf?

If it's going to spend most of it's life on a shelf I think being the best 1:12 representation of the real thing is the most important, not being 100% period correct or the best setup for the 5 minutes you're going to run it ... I'd fill the hole & paint the wing black :)

Went to youtube for info, clearfix looks good! I have a local model shop that will no doubt stock it too. Thanks.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57461

There was a 1/12 scale Countach in the Tamtech Gear series in 2008 (57105). That used a polycarbonate body, but it included the body accessories tree from the original 58005 just for the dash panel. All of the other parts were just extra. I probably still have those parts lying around somewhere which would include at least the wiper and the exhaust.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57463

There was a 1/12 scale Countach in the Tamtech Gear series in 2008 (57105). That used a polycarbonate body, but it included the body accessories tree from the original 58005 just for the dash panel. All of the other parts were just extra. I probably still have those parts lying around somewhere which would include at least the wiper and the exhaust.

Thanks, but i should be sorted for body parts now. Im sure someone out there would be very keen to get hold of that tree though!
The following user(s) Liked this: poebe

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57468

I'm looking forward to seeing your restoration of this body work, looks like a challenge :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 5 months ago #57480

I bought some of this today. Just wondered if you had found anything it wont stick to. I was thinking of making a barrier and backer to help in building up a missing area.
Also, any experience of shaping and maybe polishing it once set?

Ill experiment with it but thought i may as well ask if you had already tried such things.
Thanks.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57503

Slow going on this, not getting much time.
Roof repair is super strong now, mixes some sprue offcuts with solvent to make a slurry to use to fill imperfections

Planning to do it all without glue or filler. Just need to get some more wet and dry, run out of a few grades.
Attachments:

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57504

Nice work.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57544

Got a couple of hours on this today. I flatted out the mould lines, finished the repair works, flatted out the whole body to level the panels and try and remedy a few moulding bad areas. I then re drilled the holes for the number plate, mirrors and wiper and used solvent to re attach anything i felt should be on before painting.

There are a few little niggles that if i had made it from scratch, id fix, but i want to it look like a tamiya rc model thats been built well rather than a full on scale model.
Things like the little gaps you get from the location slots on the roof panel.

I could fill those, but this is how tamiya made it so ill leave it.
This is how it sits right now

A little more prep and a real good clean and maybe tomorrow ill get the primer on.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57545

I also decided to leave the aerial hole. I was going to fill it but its an rc car, it should have an aerial (i did add some plastic to tidy up a chipped edge though).
I plan on doing a stealth 2.4ghz conversion on the futaba rx so it will get a short aerial tube.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.