Keyword

TOPIC:

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57657

Really nice work. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57658

Thanks everyone :)
I put another coat on it before i went shopping to make sure there is enough thickness to flat back.
I was unsure what paint to use but went with tamiya as it lays on thinner than automotive paint.
Only other ts paint ive used was yellow, which was horrible! This black is nice though.
Tried all i could to not get any dust in it but there are a few specks. Inevitable really. Doesnt matter as ill flat them out. If it wasnt for those though, the finish is very nice.
Looking forward to seeing how the clear lays down.
Ill leave it a day or two to fully go off before i continue with it and move onto the electronics.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57661

I modified the rx this afternoon while the paint is drying.
The futaba rx is lovely, but not a frequency i can use.
Im keeping the old futaba servos that have pin plugs

This is what need to be done, a flysky rx and a cheap bec module

I marked the bits of pcb track i wanted to keep then ground all the rest off so make component removal easy

And bodged the new stuff if.

I did plan on doing this really neatly. In my mind it was going to look ace. Reality is i just did it however was quick and easy 😂
Attachments:

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57662

Still, looks fine when all back together.
You have to take the top off to bind it, but should only need to do that the once, and you had to take the top off to change crystals anyway.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57669

This 'll look amazing when finished! Love the fact that it's gonna run too. Don't forget to make a movie.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57670

I will.
Ill probably only run it once, might run it occasionally in a suitable location (smooth floor and nothing to hit!)

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57671

Top transformation :y:

Last edit: by stingray-63.

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57681

Finally decided the base coat was as good as i can get it so just put 2 coats of clear on it.
Was going to do 3 coats but its looking good as is and dont want it too thick. Ill inspect thoroughly when its dry.
Dont think it will need polishing either which is nice. Never manage to get back such a flawless shine as when it's freshly painted.

Ill get some better pics in a couple of days when its fully hardened and ive de masked it.

Chassis is nearly completed now too.

Next i guess is the flat black areas and then decals! Slightly scared about the decals as they are quite rare, and old! But ill rake my time and hopefully it will go well.
Think ive decided not to clear over the decals.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57723

Looking stunning :y:

Fantastic resto so far!
The following user(s) Liked this: Graemevw77

58008 lp500s restoration 4 years 4 months ago #57726

Thanks. Stalled slightly due to driver figure taking ages to paint.

Got a few decals on too

Also got the body details painted.

Then my girlfriend decided it would be fun to break her ankle in 3 places so no more has happened yet. Hopefully ill get it finished up over the next few days and give it its maiden run!
Gave the chassis a little drive in the hallway but its a little unpredictable on tiles with 2s lipo and i crashed it into a radiator pipe. Might look into some tyre additive. No damage though.
If i crash it with the body on ill be deeply unhappy! Flat wide open spaces only for this car i think 😂
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.