Keyword

TOPIC:

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58506

• RLine
  • RLine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Hi,

I am also a human... ;-). Sure can you buy the material. The silicone is called Coltene President Regular body. Can be puchased for example at ebay:

www.ebay.com/it...SwgX9chrFH

That is the silicon itself with mixing pipes and dispenser pins. And for such small stuff you need several mixing pipes. Unfortunatley if you stop pressing it out for 30s, it is already cured out in the mixing pipe that you need to detach it and attach the next new one to the barrel.

What you then additionally need is the gun to apply it.

And the solvent which I used is THF and can be bought at several Chemical Companies (also very expensive at ebay). It is a standard chemical solvent. CHN (Cyclohexanon) will also work good but will take much longer to evaporate.

I am from Germany, so distribution channels for the stuff might be different in the US. Unfortunately it is medical stuff so not that cheap but for each fix you do not need much and the parts can be re-used many times. But I have access to it by a friend of mine so I get it for a very reasonable price.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: mongoose1983

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RLine.

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58510

I like your work, and I am impressed by your first trying at restoring such parts. Good job! :y:

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58518

• RLine
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Today was controller day.
Two already fixed, one in progress, one to come. Again I see a job for my silicone. One of the levers is broken. Lets see how it looks afterwards.
I found also good cables (size, color) to replace the old ones if needed. Unfortunatley no solution yet to repair/replace the fuser and holder. Two controller still got their fuse, the others not. No idea yet how to build them....
The polishing job I did with Never Dull polishing wool (typically used for bike exhausts). I use this for all metal parts in my restaurations.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58519

Very nice work.

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58521

• Al
  • Away
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi RLine, could you share the link for the replacement wire. I keep trying to find a supplier of wire, but I can't find anything close enough to the original for my liking.
Is it 14AWG ?

Great job on this restoration.

Thanks in advance Al.

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58522

• RLine
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
To be honest, I am not expert in the sizes and specifications of cable. My goal was to find a cheap cable having all needed colors in a bundle. The single wires/cables should have same outer diameter. I am not that interessted in the wire section area because my buggies will never touch road again. So high current will not be a topic.
If found such cable here in Germany at suppliers of spare parts for cars and trailors. Ist has 7 singel cables and is used for the connection of signal lights, lights etc. from car itself back to the trailer. Do not know if something similar is existing in the US. It cost me 5,- (~ 5 US$) for 2m (~80"). The sizes are perfect, only green is a bit more bright that orginal. But that is ok for me and you only see it in side by side comparison. Probably it looked like that 40 years ago :laugh:

Attachments:

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58523

• Al
  • Away
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi, thanks for the reply. That cable looks a perfect size. Nice bit of innovation, stripping them off something else. I might have to look into finding something similar.

Thanks again.

Al

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58526

Al they are approximately 1mm2 automotive wires.

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58529

• Al
  • Away
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Cheers Flo.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Holiday Buggy Restoration 4 years 1 month ago #58530

• RLine
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Did not measure them but after soldering they look like the original size.

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.