Keyword

TOPIC:

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60578

hi crestwood23
u should get the diff upgrade as well
i found a lot of gears that are in the porsche 959 broken because the diff was not upgraded
the motor will turn the diff right but if theres any stress or lot of load on the shaft the celica diff shaft will spin in a way
so no damage will come to other gears and parts inside the gearbox
the porsche 959 gears its one piece so all the time the motor will be turning around too
say if i was going forward right flat out then i put the radio in to neutral then the cars roll will still be turning the motor in the 959
the celica the diff will be turning not so much the motor
better on the motor and other gears
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by spannerman3.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60584

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: crestwood23

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60590

hi crestwood23
i found a lot of gears that are in the porsche 959 broken because the diff was not upgraded
the motor will turn the diff right but if theres any stress or lot of load on the shaft the celica diff shaft will spin in a way
the porsche 959 gears its one piece so all the time the motor will be turning around too
say if i was going forward right flat out then i put the radio in to neutral then the cars roll will still be turning the motor in the 959

Ok got it, thanks for the explanation. I just picked one up. Also found some dogbones! Looks like I have just about all the parts I need now (and then some). The aluminum parts are coming from Hong Kong so they won’t be here for a while unfortunately. In the meantime I’ll be scrubbing the parts I do have getting ready for re-assembly.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60592

hi why would u put a pic of Steve Austin | The Bionic in this topic ? stingray-63

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60593

Yes that’s perfect, just bought it. I also picked up the aluminum bottom plate kit, and celica stabilizer bar came today. All these metal upgrade parts I feel like I’m rebuilding the 6 million dollar man! “We have the technology... we can rebuild him...”

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60694

hi crestwood23

OK Spanner - the center diff came today. So it comes with a 41T/16T drive/pinion as well as a 40T/18T drive pinion. It says to use the 40T “for flat pavement only”. I will primarily be driving this on flat pavement - is there any reason to go with the “normal” 41T vs the “flat pavement” 40T drive gear?

Last edit: by crestwood23.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60706

Flat pavement gearing gives you slightly better top speed than the standard off-road gearing.

I don't remember what my Celica used, but I mainly drove on asphalt, jumping in and out of driveways etc.
The gearing was perfect for my use.
The following user(s) Liked this: crestwood23

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60708

Flat pavement gearing gives you slightly better top speed than the standard off-road gearing.

I don't remember what my Celica used, but I mainly drove on asphalt, jumping in and out of driveways etc.
The gearing was perfect for my use.

Ok makes sense, I think I’ll go with the flat pavement gearing.

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60710

stick to normal gear ok its safer then top end gear less brake to the car
less stress on gears etc sometimes the dog bones will start to brake ok not worth the risk

959 quarantine restoration! 3 years 9 months ago #60742

stick to normal gear ok its safer then top end gear less brake to the car
less stress on gears etc sometimes the dog bones will start to brake ok not worth the risk

The 959 / Celica is NOT that fragile!!!
I drove my Celica for over 2 years and nothing broke.
The only time several things broke was when I lent the transmitter to a friend and he tried to do a powerslide, but hooked on some rough asphalt and the car tumble sideways at full speed, doing 10-20 tumbles and touched the asphalt hard 4-5 times.
Chassis broke where the front gearbox is mounted and at the side lugs at the white parts at the end of the rear of chassis.
Other than that I never broke anything, not even a suspension arm.

But it may have become brittle over the years.
And wd40 a chassis is big NO NO as it pulls out the moisture from the plastics and things gets super brittle.
Shake my head every time I see someone use that trick on plastics.
I also think to store our models in room temps is far better than in a cold garage or basement as the plastic may get brittle due the temp difference.
I store all my vehicles in room temp and I rarely see a broken or cracked part.
Room temps ranging from 16-30C depending on time of the year (have no AC)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.