Keyword

TOPIC:

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 2 months ago #63971

• Al
  • Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
I spotted a Countach body on eBay, I wasn't particularly looking for one, but having got all the parts together for the Celica LB Turbo last year, for some reason I went for this. It looked like it was intact apart from the upper rear wing is missing and the obvious cracked windscreen. It looked like a good starting point and a fair price was negotiated.It turned up yesterday and I started on it pretty much straight away.The only real surprise that didn't show in the sellers pictures was a split in the front wing. To be fair he could have mentioned it, but it's a clean split so should be easy enough to repair.  So after having read a couple of very good restorations, I tried as carefully as I could to take as many parts as possible off the shell. It would be nice to try and clean up everything as well as I can. This is one of those cars that I feel needs to look as clean and slick as possible. No one wants a rough looking Countach.The front bumper literally came off in my hand as I took this out of the box it arrived in, I took this as a sign that it hadn't be judiciously glued or the glue was just so old it wouldn't take much to prise it apart.The lenses had tabs pushed though the body so using a blunt edge I was able to push the tabs back through. Front lights all came out perfectly. The rear lights not as cleanly so I've been working on those this morning.Another method for removing glued on parts is a soak in hot water, so that came next for the remaining parts.It was handy because this allowed me to get the windscreen out, that and the use of a scalpel. I was able to get the blade in between the shell and the part I was trying to remove.The only bits left on are the exhausts because they just felt like they would snap and I've left in the bracket that the driver attaches to. This is one part that is well and truely stuck. Although I hadn't intended to blaze into this build, I thought I'd message a few sites looking for a chassis or any parts I could pull together.So 2 options have now turned up, potentially.This explains the title being 58005 and 58008.So the 58005 was the original release, I believe this chassis was used for the Countach and the 936. It looks like they used the steering assembly on the F2 cars. And the motor was the 380.The 58008 is known as the CS competition special. This was also used for the Celica.I'll update on the chassis soon.Thanks.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, RLine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Al.

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 2 months ago #64046

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
So I needed a chassis to go with the Countach body I just got.
I probably should have waited, but I put a shout out on various platforms and I now have 2 options.

Option 1. is a rough CS 58008 chassis.
It's not terrible  and it's all pretty straight.

Plus with some of my parts I had left over from the Celica chassis build, you could put something together.

The broken mechanism deck has been in my possession since the mid 80's and I was all set to bin it. But it could do a job here, if it's just for display.

Option 2. Would be the original 58005, but from NIP parts.

Im still hunting for a few more bits and I've got a front bumper on the way.

Any way I'll keep on going with the body and we'll see what happens with the chassis later.
Thanks to the people who contacted me with the parts.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 2 months ago #64048

dude! why haven't I seen this before !! (nice car, beep me up when you are thinking of selling a chassis!!)
is this the standard chassis for 58005 or 58008? are u shure?
tamiyabase.com/...ed?start=0

Last edit: by poebe.

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 2 months ago #64050

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Poebe, the NIP, are for the original 58005.
The main, long chassis part is different to the CS.
It will all become clear when the builds start.

Thanks Al
The following user(s) Liked this: poebe

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 1 month ago #64069

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
I stripped down the rough 58008 chassis today. It didn't exactly take long.

Luckily though no stripped threads, so all is good.
The steering rod had been made, so isn't original.
The motor I'm describing as rustic, it says 540 SH on the sticker, I'm assuming it's some Chinese generic motor ?
The wheels are good, but the foam tyres are knackered.
I'll hopefully get time to clean all the bits at the weekend.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 1 month ago #64070

are the front rims really open spiked rims?

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 1 month ago #64071

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

Its this wheel Poebe.
Attachments:

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 1 month ago #64072

This may be helpful 

tamiyabase.com/...variations
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 1 month ago #64073

I had the same mabuchi in a last 80's hand hoover. 

58005 / 58008 Countach 3 years 1 month ago #64076

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Flo, I was thinking along that same idea, that it came out of something other than an rc car.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.