Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #66969

I've started the strip down on the FORD F-150 Ranger # 58027 . 

I think someone has had a go at a resto job on this before - I found some interesting additions, as well as things missing  from the chassis. 

Now the fun starts. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mirrorman.

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #66973

And you have the deep front rims. :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #66982

That was one of the things which attracted me to buy this car Stingray-63 . 

This is one of the places though where the previous owned did the bodge resto job I mentioned, trying to get the car running again. The original plastic bushes must have deteriorated , but you won't believe the things he used to space the wheels out on the front axles. The fronts were loose on the wheels, so he overtightened the lock nut to try and compensate. That preasure on the age weakened plastic wheels caused a lot of damage. 

Unfortunatley both the F and R wheels are quite cracked / damaged.  The previous owner had glued the tyres on, and the wheels may not survive me removing the tyres. 

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #66991

That sucks.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #66992

Personally I'd destroy the tyres in preference to risking the wheels. New tyres look the same as the  vintage ones & are a legitimate thing to replace IMO, whereas any front wheels you can get are likely to be used & have similar issues anyway.  Gluing, filling & respraying in an off white tone (VW Alpine White is my fave for things like this) will hide a lot of sins :)

BTW the kit bushes would be bronze/oilite on a car that age :) They're better than the later bearings as at least the bronze tends to wear more than the bits they're spinning on, whereas the plastic ones can reduce the diameter of a shaft (especially static front axles) really quickly :blink:

:)    
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, mirrorman

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #66997

My chance was that axles were in very nice condition. But on my gh I lost more than 1mm diameter. On several axles. For the rims, I had chance to have unglued rims same if they have cracks. But able to be driven
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

58027 FORD Ranger XLT F-150 Resto 2 years 10 months ago #67044

Unfortunatley both the F and R wheels are quite cracked / damaged.  The previous owner had glued the tyres on, and the wheels may not survive me removing the tyres. 

Hi,

Well that's a nice car to restore...I had so much fun doing mine :  Ranger XLT
If i'm not wrong, i still have the rims it came with (have a look at my resto thread), of course the period correct ones with the deep front rims, and they're just laying around in my rims basket.
Just let me know if you're interested in them and i'll take some extra pictures for you if needed.

Manotas

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.