Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

lamborghini countach LP500s 2 years 6 months ago #68313

New to the forums here. My name is Matthew. My dad passed away a few years ago and I always remember him having this in his shop and starring at it, as a little kid. 
So I finally took it home on the last trip to visit my mom in Rochester, NY. I don't have any idea on what year it might be, I am guessing late 70's or early 80's. Does anyone have pictures of what this might have looked liked ready to run back in the day? or what year this is? The mechanical speed controller looks to be in good condition. I really would like to get this back to original as I can. The back tires are in OK shape but he fronts are completely gone as its quite old now. I appreciate any help in advance. 

Regards,
Matthew 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: inserted pics :)

lamborghini countach LP500s 2 years 6 months ago #68315

I found some pics on this site actually, looks like 1978
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

lamborghini countach LP500s 2 years 6 months ago #68317

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

Hi Matthew, that’s a nice complete looking Countach, your correct it came out in 1978, it’s the CS, competition special version.
Tamiya realised an earlier version, which had a slightly different chassis, smaller motor and had different wheels and tyres.
The picture is Lars model finished to box art finish.
The front tyres aren’t that easy to get hold of, they are the Diplo style. But then a lot of the vintage parts are all getting on for 40 years old.
Having said that, keep looking on eBay or Facebook groups because spares do come up for sale.
If you’re thinking of giving it a run, I’d suggest getting an ESC to replace the old manual one. And buy a modern radio set.
That’s a nice model.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by Al.

lamborghini countach LP500s 2 years 6 months ago #68320

Welcome Matthew. This is a treasure. It looks in perfect condition. Congrats.
The following user(s) Liked this: poebe, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

lamborghini countach LP500s 2 years 6 months ago #68322

Welcome!

Here is an other topic about the lambo
tamiyabase.com/...8-countach
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001

lamborghini countach LP500s 2 years 6 months ago #68333

Welcome on board, that’s a nice looking car :) 

Given the history, if that was mine I don’t think I’d be looking to do very much to that  - possibly a strip & clean of the chassis, careful cleaning of the paintwork, and a careful in situ polishing of the “glass”. I won’t run it, but it would be nice to have period correct radio gear & batteries fitted, so it will look like it _could_ run. 

The “Diplo” front tyres will be difficult to replace, even if you can find “new old stock” there’s no guarantee the 45 year old rubber portion won’t have already failed. The ones fitted may be “better” than incorrect modern foam replacements? 

For radio gear I’d be looking for something like an early Futaba set with the tan metal transmitter body & steerwheel, a Futaba “Medallion” (2-stick dark brown plastic TX), a “MacGregor” set with the blue casing, or even an early flight set with more channels than you need – 1978 was still very early days for off the shelf RC stuff. TBH I’d probably end up with an Acoms Techniplus mk.i set due to availability though.

I see the driver is still there, meaning it probably had a 6v NiCd “packed” battery with a 6v “Graupner” push in connector (rather than a 7.2v “hump” pack with a 7.2v “Tamiya” latched connector), very probably a Tamiya branded 1100mAH pack. These do come up for sale used, even a New in Box one occasionally – but the cells inside won’t be serviceable any more.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.