Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 7 months ago #68059

Loosely related to this topic.......Would anyone know the proper blue used in the alternate Subaru Brat paint scheme? It would be featured on the box art on the 50161.

Thanks in advance!!
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 7 months ago #68060

50191 Sorry!!

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 7 months ago #68061

TS paints don't appear until 1997 according to the catalogues, but that's clearly wrong ... the Brat build manual shows an illustration of an aerosol can, although it suggests XF paints.

If you look at tamiyablog.com/...ya-paints/ the water soluble X/XF brush paints were Tamiya's 3rd range of paints in the 80s, so the implication is that the TS range started much (decades?) earlier. The first 6 TS shades are very tank oriented, it's unfortunate that the catalogues (at least not the English language versions) don't show them increasing over time, so it's not at all clear when the more car oriented shades were introduced, which might narrow the choices down.

Of the "low" number TS paints, I don't think it's TS10 French Blue, TS19 Metallic Blue or TS23 Light Blue, so that leaves TS15 Blue.

I used PC4 Blue (a very similar colour, if not exactly the same - now only available as PS4 Blue) on my re-re Brat Lexan body (2008ish?) and it looked the part.

Of the low number X paints (if you wanted to airbrush it, or just brush it :blink:) of the lower numbers, X3, X13 & X14 look wrong, so it must be X4 Blue.

TL;DR -  TS15 Blue I think :)

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 7 months ago #68062

Another footnote, according to larbut, TS paints appear in the Japanese version of the 1981 RC Guide Book - but they're not in the English version. I don't have a full perm of RC Guide Books, but the earliest one that I have that shows any paints at all  (not TS) is 1988.

:)

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 7 months ago #68063

I think royal blue. Like on the corsair planes. X3.
I don't know if it exists in spray can. 

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 7 months ago #68064

That's good enough for me Sir!! Thanks!!

Given the date etc. I was leaning towards an earlier (and smaller) number. TS 15 makes sense.

Thanks again Johnny. 

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 6 months ago #68425

In the middle of my Subaru "Fighting" Brat ( to be painted in the alternate Brat blue paint) which just happens to be the same color scheme as the Fighting Buggy!

I managed to keep the roll bar and I used an alternate pair of rear body mount which made it very easy to get started. I might raise the back up 3/16 or 1/4 inch.... not sure yet.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Al, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 6 months ago #68428

Love it jim
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 6 months ago #68429

Thanks Flo! I used the hard body from the kit. The poly body I painted in classic 70s tan and I am waiting on Nathaniel (just North of me) to finish up some groovy orange and brown decals for it. Very stoked to get these decals!!!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Jim's Fighting Brat (formerly part of "The "Other" SRBs" thread) 2 years 6 months ago #68430

that looks great

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.