Nice job Al. Looking great!
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72440

• Al
  • Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
I’ve been looking at the roll bar on this and why it’s not lining up.
First I checked the original one on the car against my replacement, but they are both the same.

I detached the horizontal part of the roll bar. This allows the roll bar to move backwards.

But I still don’t think the line up with the body is good enough.
I checked the part numbers of the Fighting Buggy and Buggy Champ, for the re-releases and they are the same. So buying a new roll bar isn’t necessarily going to fix the problem.

I still think the car had a big rear crash and the end plate is bent ( the part with FS cut out of it) at some point in its past. I might buy a re-issue one just to see.
But as Jonny’ s pictures point out, I don’t think this will solve all of the problems.

If I could move the roll bar back a couple of millimetres it would look better. The whole back end is very tight so that only leaves trying to bend it. Which isn’t a great solution, but visually might make it look better.

If Jonny is right and the Super Champ roll bar is different to the other SRB’s then I could be looking for one although I don’t think I’ll feel confident buying one off eBay or similar.

Time to have a ponder on this. I’ve got a few other spare roll bars, so I’ll check for any differences, but I very much doubt it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72441

I'm not saying the rollbars are different, it was just a hypothesis to test. If the Buggy Champ & Fighting Buggy rollbar have the same part number, then they're the same part, and I know they fit interchangeably with mk.1 or mk.2 Rough Riders and Sand Scorchers. It's possible the vintage Super Champ rollbar is different, I mean Tamiya made a different one for the Ranger...

I haven't seen any reports of the Fighting Buggy body not fitting a Super Champ chassis. I haven't tried it but if an FB body fits the SC, then wouldn't it follow that all SRB rollbars (excluding the Ranger) are actually the same? 

My brain is hurting, try to hold the two contradictory things at once ;)

The Fighting Buggy rear end uses pipe clamps & a different horizontal loop so I'm not sure the FS panel would necessarily have the same angles as the original.

Can you fit the pressed steel clip bits to the roofbars & see how far away they are from fitting? 

My Super Champ is not very accessible ATM (hence the old pictures) earlier, so I took some measurements from my Super Brat - I have Pargu rear bumper but the distance (angled, as fitted) between the screw centres will still be the same as i I had the correct one, I think.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72444

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Thanks Jon, I appreciate all the info.

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72445

I have the same bumper as jonny. Maybe it could help you? I refind old picts
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72460

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

And here is the pile of bits not used or replaced on my Super Champ.
I’ll tidy up and put anything useable in my spares boxes.
And the junk will get binned.
I’m going to keep the shell and see it’s possible for me to do a half decent job of repairing it. More as an experiment/ practice, it can’t possibly get worse, can it???
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72462

You can make a scratch built with the body for a dt03 or 02. I used a lexan version on my dt02.. perfect for a runner.

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72529

Hi Al,
Really nice job, it's looking good.
I hope that you will solve the rollbar problem you got there.

If you need any measurements or anything else, just let me know. (I'm finishing my Super Champ  )

Manotas
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72542

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

So after giving the body fitment a good ponder, I had an idea, attach the body clip to the body shell and see what happens.
And amazingly the roll bar now lines up perfectly with the body.
It seems to push everything into place. I’ve got nothing to compare it to, but I’d call it a tight fit, which I’d say is a good thing.
I’m happy with this now. So I’m keen to crack on with painting and tidying it all up. The end is in sight.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Ducksnuts

58034 Super Champ 1 year 6 months ago #72543

Niiice
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.