Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49373

I obtained a used Futaba FX-10, which is the Tamiya Sonic Fighter too I guess.

The right side dog bone keeps popping out, it's acting like it's too short, but it's not.

- I inspected the dog bone and both U-joints and seem ok.
- I was able to obtain a genuine replace set of U-joints and dog bone on ebay.
- I have installed them, but the same thing is happening.

The left side is nicely fitting, with minimal 'slop'.
When installing the new U-joints and dog bone, I can see the dog bone tooth pop out free when hand spinning the drive axle.

I am clearly missing something.
The car ran super a week ago...I'm wondering if something broke that I'm not seeing, therefore not replaced.

Any leads would be helpful.
Thanks Forum!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49385

Really not that familiar with that chassis, but I'd be looking to see if either the stub axle or gearbox output is bent, another possibility if the stub axle runs in two bearings - are they both still there/ok? If somthing binding anywhere? Are the right side suspension pivot/mount points are intact?

And what happens if you swap parts for the left?

Final thought - is there any undue slack/gaps in the cups the dogbone sit in - lots of Tamoiya cars need O-rings stuffing in there to keep the dogbones in ...
:)
The following user(s) Liked this: grandall400

Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49391

Thanks for the reply Jonny!

Really not that familiar with that chassis, but I'd be looking to see if either the stub axle or gearbox output is bent
Very possible...but must be slight enough that it's not obvious.

two bearings - are they both still there/ok?
Confirmed...both sides

If something binding anywhere?
No, gear box and all U-joints feel good. Only binding is when the dog tooth comes out of the U-joint on one end.

Are the right side suspension pivot/mount points are intact?
Ball cups and all suspension support pieces are there, could be slightly worn but nothing glaring...and it ran fine a week ago.

And what happens if you swap parts for the left?
Great question, and I am going to guess that the trouble will remain on the right side...which leads right back into your first thought above.

Final thought - is there any undue slack/gaps in the cups the dogbone sit in - lots of Tamiya cars need O-rings stuffing in there to keep the dogbones in ...
I actually tried that trick (unknowing it actually was a trick) and that helped tighten everything up, and fully thought that would solve the problem. But alas, same issue...

SO...in conclusion, I am circling back to your very first thought. and thinking back to when the trouble started...after a good thump to the rear. I am suspecting that the suspension arm is bent, but not violently enough to notice with the naked eye.

Look out ebay, here I come (again)...for rear suspension arms...and maybe a C tree.

Thanks Jonny for the ideas!
-G

Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49394

You maybe could put a spacer between the rear bearing and the cup? To reduce the play with dogbone?
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999, grandall400

Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49397

Final thought - is there any undue slack/gaps in the cups the dogbone sit in - lots of Tamoiya cars need O-rings stuffing in there to keep the dogbones in ...
:)

Not sure what a Tamoiya car is Jonny :laugh:
But as far as Tamiya cars go I can remember looking through a build manual one time where it showed two “O” rings in each cup, inner and outer, which supprised me hence remembering seeing it, but unfortunately with my poor memory I cannot remember what model :S:

Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49461

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Re:Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49473

Are the distance between the rear trailing arms and the gearbox still the same?

Re:Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49477

That's it Sander! You're showing the problem. The right side (in the picture above) has more distance...I guess I could describe it as looking like it has "tow-out".
I have tried the trick of adding bulk inside the ball cups, I have re-tightened everything (there is the bracket under the battery box clip in the picture) that holds everything in...yet even with everything snug and secure, nothing moving, the distance on the right (again, using above picture) the dog bone want's to pop out when spinning (by hand, so no reason to power it up).

I've used new U-joints and dog bones and the existing ones...same situation...so I don't believe it's the parts...it's something in alignment of all of them.

I'll take some pictures to show exactly my case...
Thanks Forum!!!!

Re:Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49480

So easy when somebody post a manual with pictures ;) thx Andy
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Re:Futaba FX-10 (but also similar Tamiya cars) - help 5 years 11 months ago #49483

This shows how far the dogbone is out when assembled.

What gets me is it was fine a week ago...ran it once and poof...

Can a shock be shortened? If the shock is a bit more compressed, things fit fine.

On the plus side, my first attempt at a TBG new body came out ok...learned a lot what to do and a lot more what NOT to do.

Thanks for trying to help...this is frustrating.
Attachments:

Last edit: by grandall400.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.