Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65093

Hello,

This will be my first build post here. I decided to wait the build to be finished before posting here. And I'll start by the finished result:

Then as it is a build post, I will put some details of the build process (some of you may have already seen them, as I posted them already time to time in the what I did today thread)...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65094

It started with a nice box

I must recognize that I understand why some keep their box like that... But I'm more interested by building it and running it at some point 

Few days later, started the assembly of the châssis

Then on the next day, dampers are mounted and the rear of the châssis start to shape...

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65095

Then waited a few days - my wife gave me a challenge : make the build last a bit (no issues, it will take a while... as previous activities were already taking about 4 to 5 hours of work. And yes, it is enjoyable build, if you ask the question...
I mounted the front suspension

Then the tub and the steering servo

Then the wing, wheels and the motor (SkyRC brushless 13.5T)

Then I build the roll cage and lights bucket (including leds)

I then made some holes for the led wires (large enough for 2 wires JST connectors trimed on the angles - in order to be able to unmount this, just in case it is needed)

On the following day of work I mounted the ESC and the RX (not present on the picture, the r/c controlled switch for the leds, which take place on the right/front side of the tub)

Once all of this is done, it remains the body. Had some ideas of where I want to go, but the target was kind of complex, and I knew already I would need a plotter to achieve it. Started to prepare my wife to the fact I would sooner or later need one, and capitalize on the fact I know she wants one for other purposes :-D. Plan was made, but no decision yet.

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65096

Applied liquid mask inside the whole body shell (a new technique for me, but no way I do this masking with tape, especially considering the difficulties on the body behind and on the sides of the driver...

Decided to start with the black of the cockpit (kind of useless as stickers are available for that in the box, but when you want to do it the hard way, you go extra mile :-D), and after that, I also unmasked the harness with the idea that I would probably find the time to spray the red between two meetings on one of the following days...

Then, in the evening, I added rear leds (bucket lights are Tamiya 54972 (there is 4 rounds and 4 squares, that makes for 2 squares less in this set).

Then I did a bit more on the paint side... and got ready for the body shell itself...

On the next days, I took care of the driver head. First White primer, then I applied liquid mask (next day), then removed the mask on the external side of the helmet, Sprayed some TS Pure Blue paint, and on the next day, removed the mask of the face to paint the pilot face, and then the inside of the helmet... On the next day, I added a touch of translucid blue for the eyes

I finally fired an order for a plotter (Silhouette Cameo 4) and few vinyls and masks. Which was delivered on the next day (friday morning). At the end of the day, made a few tries adjusted a workable workflow, and started to build masks for what I wanted... Few minutes later, I had 2 set of masks : one made of mate vinyl and one made on a Oramask film (which seemed to me at first more difficult to work with - spoiler: I was wrong).

Anycase, applied the masks to the body, starting on the side number pannels (I wanted a 9 for some reasons), and then when working the "off-road racer" letters I noticed than Oramask film was much easier to work out (I should have removed the white vinyls, and put oramask ones, but I didn't)...

(I removed the white line as it was not working as good as I expected).

Anycase, when it is the first time you do this, you definitely ask yourself about your adventure:
  • Do I have any single notion of reason, or am I just completely mad?
  • Will the result be as expected ????!!!????

I then applyed the blue (4 layers), then silver to back it (2 layers), then removed part of the masks (lettering, numbers, and line around the number plate) and applied Orange fluo (4 layers), removed the rest of the panels masks (and did a bit of cleaning, but unperfect, I must say ) and white (4 layers), backed with Silver again (2 layers)

And at this stage, I was able to sense what it would look like at the end... And yes, it was worth continuing this efforts...

I finally removed the mask on the remaining part of the body

And called it a day...

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65097

On the next day (yes, another day again  ), I started to apply masks (now this is finished, I must say I would do it slightly differently (see notes), but I did it this way)

Then I sprayed white (4 layers) and backed with silver (2 layers) (should have gone black this time, see notes), and removed the masks

Then sprayed orange fluo (4 layers) , white (4 layers) and silver (2 layers) again

Later on, I didn"t resist to uncover the body...

I put the driver head on the body (after having noticed that for the eyes center in black, a tooth pick is not good tool, should have used something smaller see notes)

Next I built a visor for my driver head : two pieces of transparent glossy vinly and the top of the black visor present on the decals sheet... And a white glossy vinyl line of 4 millimeter to add a stripe on the helmet...

And then finished my assembly...

3-4 weeks of work, uncounted hours, and I enjoyed every single second of the build, and I really love it...

Next will be runs... But I need to replace the steering servo first and add reinforced tape inside the body (see notes)

Hope you enjoyed this build post  .

A+
Marc
----
Notes (things I should have do but didn't):
  1. I should have used Oramask 810 for all the details masks: it is easyer to transfer, and also easier to remove from the body once you have applied the paint
  2. It is easyer to apply the mask in full and to remove the details later on
  3. Always do fluo first and white after. and if there is a white part already painted, back it with silver then black (silver is not enough alone, even with more layers, as the fluo color glows)
  4. Tooth pick is not good for eyes center. It should work good for the eye colored part, but not for the center. Next time, I'll ask my wife for a sewing noodle
  5. A low profile servo is better : if you need to use spacer to mount it, assume it is too high and will touch the body shell and ruin your paint job (It's not ruined only because there was enough layer of paint to save it)
  6. Apply reinforced tape before first try on the inside of the body (see previous note)
Maybe other things will come at some point - I'll add here...

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65099

You did a beautifull work Marc. 
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65100

You did a beautifull work Marc. 

Thanks!

I have now started to think about what I will do with the Hornet... May be a painjob like the one for this Turbo Scorpion is going to be too much for a Hornet (specially considering that the body shell and the wing of the Hornet are not as protected as for the Turbo Scorpion)... But I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff... (Spoiler: I believe that I will be doing it the hard way :-D)

Last edit: by silvertriple.

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65118

Beautiful work.  I love what you did with the LEDs and the custom paint is incredible.  You certainly have a Turbo Scorpion that is unique to you.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 1 week ago #65119

Beautiful work.  I love what you did with the LEDs and the custom paint is incredible.  You certainly have a Turbo Scorpion that is unique to you.

Thanks! In fairness, I must precise that the front led buckets are included in the kit, and I just added 5mm white leds in them (and everything is actually ready for that). For the rear ones, I used Tamiya square bucket lights I had sitting somewhere ready to use and two elements made of lexan (it's what remained of one of the DT03 after the body shell was trimmed) to find a way to fix them...

And for the paint, well, I thought the Turbo Scorpion deserved something special, so made it hard way (I dreamt about this buggy for so long while I was young, but never could afford one or find one available when I had the bucks for one). And in anycase, I had another unpainted body ready (A rule I made myself in the past : always buy an additional blank body when you buy a buggy - first exception I made to this rule was the hornet, as for the first time in my life, I feel comfortable enough to do proper paintjob), just in case I completely mess out the paintjob, and it will remain unpaint at this stage... I may want to do something even different next time :-D.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

My Turbo Scorpion... 3 years 22 hours ago #65328

There is two things I'm thinking about for the my Turbo Scorpion...
  1. workout a way to be able to switch on/off the ESC without being reqired to remove the body. The way I see it is that the fake antenna may act as a push button (the real antenna is short enough and hidden inside the chassis). It may need some work but may be something I want to do.
  2. something totally useless but so cool. The placement of the driver head is not very far from the steering servo. It may be quite fun to find a way to have the driver turning his head slightly on the same side as the front wheels are turning (as you may know, in real cars, the way you turn the wheels correspond to the way you look the way to go). I may want to push the realism to that point....
It may need some smart thinking, tricks and others, but I may want to go this route...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.