Keyword

TOPIC:

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65973

Hello all,

I've done a post in "Wanted"  category for parts, and I'm initiating a thread here now for my Marui Hunter. First few pics of the original state of the chassis, before we get into the real work when parts will be there.

The inspection indicates a few things.
  • The chassis is in good condition. The damper rear linkage are in good state. They probably need reinforcement if I want to get this buggy running (It's a known weak point of the Chassis)
  • Differential is in good condition as well,
  • Lot of missing parts
  • The front lower Triangle are not from a Hunter but from a Galaxy RS buggy: they have a thread to mount a damper (and I believe the thread should be on the front side)
  • Tires are in unexpected good condition: no flat, and lightly used
  • Differential lower enclosing is in good state with slight marks of usage. On the chassis, the usage marks are for most on the front side, but they are light
  • Damper seems working but will need a proper restoration
  • the body and stickers are original ones (not a copy). I may try to keep the stickers while repainting the body. Not sure yet how to do this. Maybe with liquid mask?
At this stage, I've not started any unbuild. I would rather start this once I have sourced most of the missing parts... Further, as this project may sit for some time waiting for parts, I may need some storage space specifically fro this.... Which means I have to get organized myself first. In the meantime, I put the buggy on the shelve, with something under it soe tires are not on the ground. In anycase, before this buggy sits on the floor or directly on the shelve, I will need to take care of the rear damper linkage, as it is known to break just looking at them...

At least this post marks the beginning of a project which will be my first venture in restoration area :-D

A+
Marc
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65986

Yeahhhh Marc. The dream resto. Still congrats. It looks nice.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65989

The resemblence of the back end/underside to the Tamiya Sand Rover/Holiday Buggy is uncanny - how do the production dates compare? i.e.did Marui improve the design, or did Tamiya make a very basic version of it? ;)

Also, what's the consensus on pronunciation? "Mah-roo-ee"?

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65990

See, Jonny, I got the same reflexion when teasing what I bought the other day. Had already looked at some other pictures. Rear camber was one key element in my mind. The front suspension was another one (very efficient actually, it turned like a charm). The Marui Hunter was released in 1984 if I'm not mistaken. Yes the rear underside looks like the one from the Holiday buggy. And I remember one article in the french R/C press I read long after I had my Hunter that Marui was used to copy the bad ideas from Tamiya.

But there was some uniqueness in most of the Marui's model.....Not sure though if the Wild Wheelie from Tamiya came before or after the Super Wheelie from Marui. Same between the Monster Trucks and the Marui Big Bear and others from Tamiya... (I can't find the release dates, and even for the Hunter, I'm not really sure from the source I found it: I was between 12 and 14 when I got mine, which may correspond to 83-85 period): I would need to dig in more details on pictures from my parents to find out...

Anycase, I can tell you the front was really efficient. And as far as I remember, out of the box, it was the king in the neighborhood: the 540 Mabuchi RS motor made already a lot of difference from the 380 of the Grasshopper and Holiday Buggys around... And the front train was very directive (probably the best feature ot this Hunter). as for the rear, I remember each time the buggy jumped, the wheels were going down with the characteristic camber, to full up on the other side while landing (and that probably participate to kill the differential and the chassis due to the oiless bearings)....

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65991

Marc I hate you... :P now I have interest for marui... :D

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65992

Sorry for that :-)
Problems with Marui cars are the fact they are quite rare (and very often largely too expensive for the state they are in), and second parts are difficult to source...

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65994

Yes parts are too rare and expensive. I was lucky with my coors. Bad state but 98% complete. Main parts were here. And the perfect deal, 3kms of my home. 

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #65998

I got lucky with my 2x Big Bears as well.
Just missing a few parts.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #66001

I believe the Marui Big Bears really impacted R/C cars market, as if I'm not mistaken, it is the first of its species... Tamiya Monster Trucks came later on, iI believe..

There is cars like that from other manufactures than Tamiya and Kyosho which really marked the R/C car evolution.... What about Hirobo and others... I've tried to do some search on the Marui Hunter and found some articles next to other articles on old brand names. They come back to memory when you read articles about them. Hirobo Rock'n City is another one rare model I dreamt about... Maybe I should stop searching on internet, as searching means finding, especially not about what you searched first :-D

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 11 months ago #66058

Quick update... I posted "Wanted - Marui Hunter Parts" in few forums and groups on Facebook. Got a proposal for a Hunter with a broken chassis with a lot of the missing parts, and it is now incoming from Belgium. Will wait the inspection to see what is still missing, and will update the Wanted post...

In short, the sourcing part of the project seems to be in the right path, although it is clear from what I saw on the pictures that I would be at least still missing the radio box cover and a driver figure... 

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.