Keyword

TOPIC:

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69073

Finally decided to do the paint the Hunter saved body shell. As there is still some small traces of blue here and there, I'll have to compose with that...

Roof will have to be dark blue, roll bars will be black, white on the bonnet and the rear

Light blue on the middle...

... and dark blue on the bottom (same color as the roof)

but as there is no overspray film, I have to mask the top as well... Not that comfortable with this, as it will make difficult to see the masking and painting issues to correct. That will be challenging...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69074

Painting a body without visual feedback with a transparent overspray film is challenging.

After the paint here is the final result

Blue traces even appear where I did not saw them, but with the time I spend on this car, I love this body, and the blue traces in the white will remind its history. I'll do something else when I get a chance to order a TBG body for this car...

In the meantime, It is doing it.
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69075

that came up pretty well overall.

As for the motor and gears, it would be nice to reinforce that idler gear. These cars (especially the Galaxy), from my distant memory seemed stable enough (I have good memories of driving these on the Adelaide beaches, where seaweed piles where often plenty and the car had no trouble navigating over them), so I think the car itself could handle a much higher speed.

I guess the other option to put less stress on the idler gear is maybe reduce the diameter of the rear tires a little. Would that work?
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69076

Vintage design colors in the boxart spirit. I love it. A very beautifull salvation. Congrats marc
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69088

Few pics of the body on the car... The driver remain to be done (Ideally, I should make a 3D scan of the driver before doing the paint)

The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, yogi-bear, stingray-63, Al, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69090

that came up pretty well overall.

As for the motor and gears, it would be nice to reinforce that idler gear. These cars (especially the Galaxy), from my distant memory seemed stable enough (I have good memories of driving these on the Adelaide beaches, where seaweed piles where often plenty and the car had no trouble navigating over them), so I think the car itself could handle a much higher speed.

I guess the other option to put less stress on the idler gear is maybe reduce the diameter of the rear tires a little. Would that work?

I'm not sure for the rear tire diameter reduction : The first thing is that those tires are participating to the damping. The Marui shocks, being on a Galaxy or a Hunter are not enough alone. They don't work as good as Tamiya CVAs, and without proper damping, you would put the shock towers at risk (and I don't even talk about this really nice vintage look :-) ). Plus the fact that it change completely the gearing...

No work needs to be done on the Idle gear. The one I mounted has been designed by Hitec Mods (the stl file can be purchased, you just have to find it). It allows the mount on ball bearings (3x8x3) which should definitely help to make it smoother. I printed it in MJF PA12, which should be as much resistant than the original material from Marui. I also had a look to Alien8 Shapeways shop (got 2 idle gear from there). They are probably not as resistant as the one from Hitec Mods printed in MJF PA12, first because it is not the same material, but beside the ball bearings sleeve added, the design is really similar to the Marui one, but they should work at least for some time... Ultimately, at the end, I took the approach to print some spares idle gears, it will last the time it will last. And I'll have a replacement ready when it will be required... And with the ball bearings, there is chance it last at least as much as an original idel gear, and probably even better, especially if the diff is also mounted on ball bearings... So at the end a small brushless (17.5T or 21.5T with a sensor to avoid cogging (that would induce damage quickly) would work well - and eventually much better than the very famous overpowered Marui 360RS)...
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69123

Ordered the servo and esc for remaining builds (And unexpectedly won an auction on ebay saturday by putting a bid 2 seconds before it ended, with a package now on the way - looking forward for it).
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69147

The package will be delivered on Monday while I'll be in the office. My wife will be at home, so if everything goes well, there will be an update on Monday evening in this thread :-)

@yogi-bear, I'm quite sure you'll like it :-D
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69150

Can't wait to see inside the parcel 😁😁😁
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69152

I am quite intrigued!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.