Keyword

TOPIC:

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69158

...Maybe I should remove the active "Marui Hunter or Galaxy" search on few websites :-)

nah, now you need to get the Red RS Galaxy!

Dear @yogi-bear,

I'm please to say now that if have no more reasons to keep my active search for Marui Hunter or Galaxy on those website, as here is what I received today:

Yes, it is a Marui Galaxy, THE red Marui Galaxy, with all its red parts, and its Marui 360RS motor (550 size cage). The chassis is unfortunately broken, but I have already another black chassis in proper state to replace it. I will inspect the chassis as soon as I can unbuilt this car, but looking at the state of the bottom, I believe it was lightly used, so I may give it another life as repaired Hunter or Ganter chassis :)

And I really need to suppress the Marui search as well for some other reason (reason that I'll only disclose when I have proper pictures, as my father went to get the thing for me) :-) (nb: I will have to open another thread for that one reason!)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69159

Yeahhhhh congrats Marc. And in few weeks you have to open a new thread. OBLIGATOIRE! :P
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69160

well done, apart from the broken suspension arm at the back, it looks pretty good, even the silver rims don't look too bad. Well done. I think I like the red colour scheme better than the blue one.
I wonder what tires they used on the rear too?
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69161

Thanks!

well done, apart from the broken suspension arm at the back, it looks pretty good, even the silver rims don't look too bad. Well done. I think I like the red colour scheme better than the blue one.
I wonder what tires they used on the rear too?

Well, I will have to unbuilt it. There is things I find surprising. Lot of screws don't seem to be standard ones. But at least the cage, the red parts and the shocks and rims are in good state. I don't know for the tires, but they maybe the cause of the broken shock tower (not sure). The state of the rims is really surprising for the rear ones : the ring is not inside the tires, so there was no way they hold on it...

But in fine, I'm now sure I'll have the trio :)

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69162

Rear tires are from Dynamite Racing, apparently

They were probably thought for the Tamiya Hornet/Grasshopper, for which the rims have the same diameter. The tires don't mount on a Hunter/Galaxy rim due to the internal ring which is not made the same way as for the Tamiya (the lips of the tires are not in the same position than the standard Marui tires).
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69163

Today, while at work, the tire issue was running in background the whole day in my brain...

I know the Scorpion/Tomahawk/Beetle tire can sit on the rim, but it needs to be glued. And while I don't really care about the white rims, it's not the case of the metal plated ones. Gluing the tire on them would also mean that I would loose the metal plated finish at the time I'm going to unglue them, and this whatever the method being used... Ultimately, there is 2 ways:
- finding another alternatives that is more convenient to work with
- finding a way to fix the tire to the rim without gluing them to the rim

Here is a picture of the rim, the Kyosho Scorpion re-release tire and it's foam insert (without it, the tire runs flat)

Taking into account what is done normally on a Scorpion rim, the part of the tire glued on the Scorpion rim is on each side of 5mm large by 2mm thick, I thought about a printed insert which would fix the tire by the inside of the tire and which would be fixed inside the rim (the rim is closed by 4 screws). In the event the tire is too soft to be fixed this way, I can still glue it on the printed insert from the inside of the tire...

That sounds like a plan, and a good solution for my Marui rear tires (no issues on the front, I got enough front tires in good state for the moment...
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69166

After the dinner, I spent some time to analyse the new comer.

After having opened the superstructure, there is old AM 35MHz receiver Robbe Kompact, very old and big servos (the kind of those you would find in the late seventies very early eighties), some regulation circuitry to remove the need for receiver batteries, and a lot of wires soldered in very bad way, and protected by some adhesive bands...

Then, for everything else, I don't think this car has been used often : the transmission seems new, and universal joints have no play, and shafts does present very light wear traces...

There is some weird things, however :
- Rear suspension arms are mounted upside down, limiting up movement while down movement is not really limited. I believe this may have contributed to the broken shock tower
- All screw are for a flat screwdriver, but in metric, for those I unmounted...  I initially thought it was because the owner rebuilt the car at some point while having lost all the screws... But if  you do a restoration of a Galaxy, why would you put those screws? And why would you do a restoration with a radio too old for the car? The layer of dirt seems to indicate the car was not used for at least 20 if not 30 years... Ultimately, it seems the owner did not had a Philips or JIS screwdriver...

In short, it looks quite promising still, as after parts cleanup, and chassis swap, this will be a nice car...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69167

I wonder with the suspension and tires if they tried to make it more stable for an on-road racer rather than something off road.
The screws are perplexing though, why you'd change them all out, I can't imaging a Philips head screw driver would be that hard to get.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69168

Yes it simply doesn't look right.
That being said, I remember some press article in Auto RCM or another french newspaper speaking about preparation of the Galaxy/Hunter and lighter screws was one of the points... And they were quite similar to the one I found on this car. Not the right way to "prepare" a car in my opinion...

Any case, I need to figure out the state of the thread of this chassis (remember, the target is to repair it to make it a Hunter with a black chassis): I believe I should use metric screws for this one as the root of the screw is bigger than the tapping screws...

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 4 months ago #69177

Yeah... That was part of the preparation hints of Auto RCM n°49 from October 1985 for the Hunter. You may find the article there and as well look at the whole article.
RC Paper - Page 40 (rc-paper.com)

Now, I don't know what was the intention of the upside down arms, but @yogi-bear, you maybe right for an eventual on-road optimisation. Looks like the guy who did that did it for a purpose.
Servo are still weird and heavy for a race car (they are bigger than any standard servo I got with my own Hunter), but it may appear the guy considered enough to remove the battery for the radio and light the rear end by replacing the carter screws from the rear end... And why doing this without adding ball bearings????

Still weird, as at the end, it won't be much difference in overall weight compared to standard screws (how many grams less, I bet not much).

The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear

Last edit: by silvertriple.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.