TOPIC:

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69184

that article looks interesting, all I have to do now is learn a bit of French 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69187

that article looks interesting, all I have to do now is learn a bit of French 

Yeah... Sorry, I did not found any English equivalent press article... :-D
At some point, I'll try to do an English summary of this piece...

Finished the unbuilt of the Galaxy.
  • Transmission is like new, Shafts shows very light use : the car was probably broken quite soon in its life. I'll replace oiless bearings by ball bearings, and will use a printed idle gear with ball bearings (or maybe I should use one and compare the span life of the standard versus a printed one)
  • MSC tracks are in very good shape. Will go for an ESC in any case, as Marui MSC tracks were not having a long life, and the fact they were not really progressive (3 steps + rear, like the Tamiya). I remember having hard time with my original Hunter, to the point I was rebuilding the tracks with my soldering iron after each run at some point...
  • At the exception of the chassis, all the parts just require a bit of TLC. After a good cleaning, it will be good to go on another chassis.
  • For the chassis, at the exception of the shock towers (both broken - fixation of the shock tower extension was probably too tight), it is good to go. I will use some glue to get it back to state, and add gear cover from The Optima House which will be the real shock support for the Hunter that goes on it
On the Hunters side, TBG mould doesn't seem to be repaired yet. I'm thinking to some new ideas. Apparently a Turbo Optima body could mount on it. I suppose many body could mount on this chassis, as long as the body is large enough on the roll bar area, taking into account a cut of the body will be required for the motor area... I believe a Shogun body could be perfect for this.

I also have thought about the weak points of the chassis. They don't seem to be the same whether it a Galaxy or a Hunter. On a Hunter, they tend to break on the front area, and it seems that doesn't happen on a Galaxy. I believe the top structure on the Galaxy is participating to this. And my son start to bug me about a Galaxy rather than a Hunter... Another idea came in my mind due to those points: i'm starting to think about a printed roll cage, in a Samurai or Javelin spirit to go on the Hunter chassis. The fact modern radios are allowing to remove the radio lid would help to have something quite streamlined, and with an interesting design :-D

I didn't start the cleaning work or the rebuild activity today, as the plan is to go fro a run with my son in the afternoon. I may do some building or cleaning activities tonight, however....
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69194

Did some cleaning of parts in the afternoon, after a run on track with my son and friends earlier.

The M4 metric machine thread screws got me thinking tonight. Since I have 2 broken chassis not usable as too much broken to be usable, I decided to do some test with some M4 screws. 
I used a M4x10 machine thread screw instead of the 4x12 auto tapping screw:
- screwed right in the hole in tubes, it breaks the tube. Made 2 like this. Two broken tubes.
- add lubrification in the hole (ptfe or grease) before screwing the screw in, and it seats perfectly without any breakage. I confirmed this in multiple holes (5 of them).

In short, I have a replacement for the 4x12 screws missing in the kit. It's even better than this, as it also work in the damaged thread as the root of the screw is larger than the root of a tapping screw: It's the perfect solution for those holes where the tapping screw was turning free...

Now I only need to find about 40 M4x10 machine screws and a another complete set of M3x10 screws, as there will be 5 Marui cars from this project:
  • the Hunter already built
  • the Galaxy RS already started
  • the Galaxy with the good proper chassis
  • the Hunter (runner), with the black broken/repaired chassis from the Galaxy, with the gear cover from The Optima House to do the proper work for the shock tower - It still need a body shell.
  • my son's Hunter (runner), with the black chassis with holes in the gearbox (I need to find a way to close this), and again a gear cover from The Optima House - It still need a body shell.
And after all of this, I will still have a complete set of parts + other parts. I will figure out what to do later with those...

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69219

After the cleaning, I decided to start the red galaxy. I need some room, so the best way is to get the parts that are not in a box waiting for other parts to join a châssis and become a car...

As planed when I set my bid on the red Galaxy, I swapped the chassis. As all the parts beside the chassis were in perfect state, that will be easy...

I will just put the pics with not much precision, as it is essentially the same as the Galaxy RS except I paid attention to the operation sequence, and the blue part are actually red in this one, with a nice 550 size Marui 360RS motor...

I  actually built it to the same point as the Galaxy RS and remaining steps will be parallel builds...

State as of now

Both cars will use a modern ESC and a FS-A3 RX. They both have been built with a reinforcement link between the shock towers, as I intend to run them times to times...
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69229

Very nice Marc
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69245

Unexpectedly found new wheels for both the Galaxy and Galaxy RS

This will be perfect for the shelve. I'm not sure I will dare to put those wheels in the dirt... But who knows, they were designed for this. The fact is that all the rims I had with the cars have some damages due to the runs, and it is not so nice. My usual way to deal with this is one set for the shelve, and one set for the run: modern tires may be more adapted than good old gums to run, and they will probably resist longer...

In any case, I'm not sure I'll resist longer to finish the Galaxy builds :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69247

Yeahhhhh pretty gold find.
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69249

thats an impressive find, a silver set too! As for running them, thats a hard one, personally one of my 'projects' it to machine my own set of rims (I have a lathe, just lack the time) and run with more modern tires that are easily replaced, keep the originals for display.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69250

Yeah, I think at the end I'll print rims with silver PLA filament to run. Either with glued tires (such as the Kyosho ones) or the such as the Hornet ones (they are the same dimension, they just need a different format for the internal ring and the lock : this should be feasible easily).
My son even told me he is fine with Hornet wheels for his onw Hunter (I'm still trying to find something better, but that would be ok to order a set of complete Hornet wheels, drill center to 5 mm and add a proper adapter design to do the work with those and the 5mm axles...

Marui Hunter and a Galaxy RS too :) 2 years 5 months ago #69257

Since months ago, when I saw the cluster and did the checks on both the Marui Hunter and Marui Galaxy RS manual, I had evidences there was parts unused on both Galaxy and Hunter cars. I thought a lot about this. My assumption is that there was a plan with a 4 friction shocks buggy with this chassis...
I found out some webpage in wayback machine about the Tokyo Marui cars today. The website is now closed, but it still appears on the archives:  The RC cars of Tokyo Marui – Vintage Dirt-Burners (archive.org)
There is on this page what I think is the evidence of the 4 fiction shocks Marui car based on the Hunter/Galaxy chassis.The Hunter prototype was using a Rough Rider like body. And it did have a air scoop at the rear end and no monoshock. Near the rear tire, you may distinguish a friction shock

So basically, on the Hunter/Galaxy cluster, there is part of what is required to build a Hunter prototype :-D
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, jord001, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by silvertriple.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.