Keyword

TOPIC:

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68374

Impressive after sales service from Kyosho: received a Chronopost today (it's the 24h postal service here) from Kyosho Europe with replacement parts. I did contact them on Sunday evening with no expectations, while modeling parts into Tinkercad as a plan B.

Not all the brands have an after sales service that efficient, and that's worth mentioning. Thanks Kyosho!
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68393

After a week of work, affairs are restarting.

I replaced the sway bar attachments.

I also scan the stickers page to prepare my paintjob. Once the scan are done, I import them into Silhouette studio, to prepare the cutting activity. I have my plans, but this is probably going to take time. (It won't be painted this week-end, although I may trim the body shell during the week-end). I also have a  Javelin black wing and a Javelin wing stay on order. I'm still asking myself if I want a wing on this car or not... I'm undecided. That is one of the reason I won't do the paint this week... (although I may want to add the wing later anyway)

The driver will be painted similarly to the Javelin driver, but I may consider different color and schema for the Helmet. I may have to prepare masks for this as well.

I plan to finalise the electronics installation this week-end. ESC should find its new home within the Turbo Optima (it was initially in the Turbo Scorpion). The Brushless spur gear should come soon as it is back in inventory at Kyosho Europe, which means both both Turbo Optima and Javelin could be running properly (for the time being, the Javelin tends to mimic a Wild Willy when I pull the trigger :-D).
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68396

Adding a screenshot so it makes more sense for those asking themselves what I do in terms of masking

I will prepare other ones based on the sponsor page content as well...

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68412

Here are the masking sheets from the kit of the Turbo Optima

It puzzles me. They are supposed to be applied before cutting the body shell as per the instruction manual. I'm not really sure what I'll do. Usually I do the cutting of the body before applying masking, and I do all the cutting with a scalpel I apply on the cutting line. This won't work with the masks.

My conclusion is that I will not follow the instructions and  I will use some of the Kyosho masks applied after the cutting, and will complete with some old fashion masking tape to complete those...

Color schema intention as of today is :
  • Red of the box art to be replaced by translucent blue backed silver and black.
  • White to be replaced by Gun metal (backed white and black).
The number on the number plate will be 9 as usual. I'm still undecided on what I'm doing with the number plates...

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68413

Some scans, a bit of work within Silhouette Studio, and I have modified some of the masks and added some. I will use the some of the original masks as well...

And if you are asking yourself why the writings are reverse, it is because we need that as they would be paint from under the body shell)

Let's work on the electronics now...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68415

The plan for the electronics did not go as per plan...

The cables were to short, I wanted to do some clean stuff. While in the Turbo Scorpion, the cables were very tight under the body shell an folded. When unsoldering those cables, some part of the cable was not coming with the rest of the cable (my initial soldering was not that bad, but with the time those folded cables would have finished broken). While trying to remove the remains of the cable, I heated the solder iron a bit more, and the tab went out... I decided to stop and to think as there is cable remains in some of the other contact tabs, and that I may need some tool in addition to those I have to solve the problem (and a brain as well :-D).

Before that, I had the time to trim the body shell so at least that is done.

I will get back to silhouette studio as I want to add one small detail in my masks sheet I just thought about now.

As the ESC installation is not for this week-end, I may start painting tomorrow depending of the weather...

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 6 months ago #68456

Problem solved, ESC has a new home...

I finally removed all the contact, for two reasons: soldering is easier this way, and this allow for more space to curb the cables when the space is constraint in height (which is the case by the way). ESC is glued under the radio plate, and the button is easy to access.

I did not solder the cables on the motor yet: this will wait for the brushless spur gear which I should get by end of the week. This should allow a different position for the motor, with more room for the contacts, in particular (those are very close to the Motor guard on the Javelin - which will change as well with a brushless spur gear)

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 5 months ago #68535

Finally, due to the complexity and forms of the body, it's difficult to use cut masks.
I gave up and masked the body using the Kyosho supplies... And they are quite good, indeed.

The driver body have been prepared with liquid mask like I did with the Javelin. I could have used the same approach for the body shell, in fact.

That is end of masking phase A. In phase B, I'll add some details using Tamiya masking tape, and I'll use a scalpel to remove the bottom of the mask that I don't want.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 5 months ago #68555

After the dinner, yesterday evening, I started by adding some details with masking tape.

And prepared the driver body with liquid mask

First thing first I did this morning was to prime the helmet (no pictures)

Then used a photocopy of the sticker page to get some indications where to cut the masks at the bottom.

Then cut the mask, and added what I intended to be black.

Time for my first color : Tamiya PS-38 translucent blue. one very light coat and 2 thicker to get some homogeneous color. The white sheet was added as a way to control the work.

Next was PS12 - silver. I did 3 coats to get an homogenous finish. Then I started to remove the masks for what was intended to be black on the body shell...

Next: PS-5 black. first a very thin coat as there was part of the body shell still unpainted, then some more thicker ones. I also applied the first color for the driver body (same can)

I then removed the remaining masks at the exception of the windows. I also applied the red (PS2) for the harness and gloves on the driver body.

Had a few areas where I used the scalpel to remove overspray as it happens sometimes that the tape doesn't stick the way it should (specially in curved areas).
After the clean up, I did proceed to apply PS-63 bright gun metal on the remaining areas of the body shell.

I applied white to the driver jacket, and black to back the bright gun metal on the body shell. I the removed the windows masks, and the protective film.

Next activity was to back the driver body with black, and to remove the protective film.

I finished the morning activity by applying liquid mask to the driver head. This will be my focus of the afternoon.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619 2 years 5 months ago #68565

The helmet was refined this afternoon.

After quite a few step of 2  minutes job, with some time in between, at the end of the paintjob operations, the driver helmet took shape.

I decided to add a visor before putting it in the car

He is alive now :-)

Time for a photoshoot within his brand new car. 

The car is not yet ready as the motor is not soldered yet...

... but the driver is fully focused on the coming tasks :)

Next steps : soldering the motor, and add stickers. There will be a few sponsors, a number and  driver name maybe...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.