Keyword

TOPIC:

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 8 months ago #71971

Just uploaded Midships parts on Thingiverse and as well some of the Exceed parts as work in progress at this stage. I'll add differentials later on and as well the Exceed roll cage...
www.thingiverse...ng:5425436
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 8 months ago #72215

I worked out a mould from the body shell. it's not perfect, but it is approaching from the bodyshell. 

I send both Fusion file and the pictures to get the feedback on this. Maybe this could work... Let's see what Yogi-bear will say :)

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73539

As mentioned, I sent the Fusion 360 file of the Bodyshell a few months ago to my friend Yogi-bear located in Australia, like Bormac...

This morning, when I woke up, there was a mail in my mailbox with some pictures... The pictures worth thousand words, and it certainly sounds like an another achievement reached...

Obviously, there is still some work, as this will require dimensionnal validation before adjustments, reprint and finition before retrying (need for some filler and sanding, for sure before next attemps)...

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73542

Pretty nice between yogi and you Marc. 👍

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73839

Today, I got some pictures from my friend Bormac... He allowed to share them. It was about the Midships bodyshell attempt... I'm quite sure yogi-bear is also awaiting eagerly for this post...

Just a few reminders before the pics :
- this is a dimensional test, which means the mould was taken straight out of the printer and the vac forming was done without any additional preparation
- the idea to try to do a mould came long after the original bodyshell was sent to Australia, and when I did the model, I had no intentions at all of this sort, which means I paid attention to get the general idea of it without making too much attention to get very close of it (not like all the mechanical parts). Additionally, I made it using plain solid, and this likely did not help at all, because having some limitiations in the exercise...

There is some good and some bad. The bas is mainly the front part which is off... At the time I did this model, there is a lot of things I did not know how to do yet. I would do it differently today... The good is that it shows it is possible to do something, and I could do better... There is still some work. Jason told me this is not a fail for him, but on my side, I see where my model is off and that is where I'm unhappy... On the other side, this allowed me to learn so much that it is somehow very good, so it is very positive. The Midships was my second car model, and from there I came a long way, and what you can see it this post is the result of lot of discussions with a few people, and they all participated to make this possible... Thanks to all of them :), and specially to yogi-bear who made this possible :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, Lemsko

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73840

I'm glad to see that . Congrats Marc 

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73841

Very nice. What settigs did you use for the printed mold? I mean wall thickness and infill.

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73842

I'm not the one who printed the mould. yogi-bear may respond this when he comes around. The fact is that I intended it to be a solid, so it's full : it's not a surface you would thicken with a certain thickness, and the is infill inside...
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, Lemsko

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73843

Very nice. What settigs did you use for the printed mold? I mean wall thickness and infill.

hmm, I think it was about 15% infill and I did about 5 shells for the print. Also printed in ABS at 0.1 mm resolution. The inside was also carved out (I’ll post a pick) so the wall of the mould was only about 10 mm thick. Better to do it that way so I can drill the little holes for venting, plus saves a lot on print time and plastic. The final version will need a coat of spray putty and a sand back to get a good surface. The next version I should be able to try polycarbonate, but I’ll have to build a dry box first, but for these sorts of restoration, PETG would be absolutely fine (easier to vac form too) Overall I’m very happy with this.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project 1 year 2 months ago #73845

Thank you very much, looking forward to see the mold.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.