Keyword

TOPIC:

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72228

Yesterday morning, a friend told me he was said some people would love to see Big Bear tires on Thingiverse... Among my contacts, I have 2 friends wih Big Bear I can chat with when this was landing in my chat, and I contacted them...

First one was not having the tires, as his Big Bear runs on Lunchbox tires... Second one, Caprinut, in Norway has the Big Bear, and the original tires which are mounted on it... I asked him if he can draw the wheels and tires profiles and provide measurements, and explained what I had in mind. He told me he would do that in the afternoon, and later on I received pics (quite a good number, of all faces and profiles, plus drawings and measurements)... And he made a lot of efforts to get the measurements rights :)

I drawed a profile, made a revolve and started to decipher how I could do the chevrons.... Made multiple tries, not yet happy, as it still require work... But it starts to look alike...

Still some work, to get something closer, but the geenral idea is there...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, yogi-bear, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72232

Really glad I could help with this oneΒ 

Big Bear tires are hard to come by themselves, and usually they are expensive.
Glad I could buy a pair, both with good wheels and tires.
My third is missing both items, so this is a good alternative.

I hope I can print tires myself later now as I got a printer.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72237

The chevrons and their profile are flowing in my mind... Got some additional ideas... I may proceed totally differently for them. I'll keep this version as V1. And will start a V2 with a set of new ideas tomorrow once back from the office. The ideas I had until now were good but not good enough...And I want to see the waves :)
Β 

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72240

Same profil with spikes and lunchy size could be a good alternative.😁😁😁😁

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72248

The chevrons made turns in my mind during last night. This morning I woke up with few ideas I had to explore. I went to the office, and during my day of work a few other ideas poped up.

I got back to RC stuff around 23:20, it's about midnight, and I may have a good idea on how to proceed with my tries of tonight...

I just have to refine the wave and some bits, and obviously add the other side, but I think I got the way to proceed now... Will refine this tomorrow :-)

Richard, do you have some TPU filament and do would you like to test a print?

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72249

You're a psycho 3D printer Marc πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72250

No TPU at the moment.
I just have one roll of PETG and waiting on a nozzle so I can start printing.

I will buy a roll of TPU later.

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72252

Great.
I'm opening Fusion360 to rework the model according to my learnings of yesterday. Once get it right for one side, I'll take care of the second side. And once finished, I'll extract the stl :)

On a side note, I've contacted one doing repro tires asking if a CAD model can be used to do something :)

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72253

Wanted to be sure I can derive the other side from the first one, and it works.

Now the next step is really to focus on the way to get the right profile. And eventually to get the BIG BEAR markings on the side :)

Marui Big Bear tires - lets CAD :) 1 year 8 months ago #72254

Multiple tries and (con)fusion360 crashes later

The chevron is slightly too thick at the center, but I did not succeed to get something better yet, as all the attempts to get something better succeed to crash the software... I've send crash reports, maybe that thing will evolve in the futur :). In the meantime I have what is considered a release candidate :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.