Keyword

TOPIC:

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73942

thats crazy that the swing arms are deforming. Surely the plastic they've used isn't that cheap/bad? or is it that they are under some kind of constant stress?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73943

Indeed, they are under constant stress: the shock fixation point is a bit far from the center of the geometry, and there might be not enough material for this. Plus they are very much flexible. The good news is that they are unlikely to break when there is front or lateral shock :-). I remember to have seen the same on Midships and Exceed where I got someone checking NIP arms for me...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73944

The chassis itself is a nightmare to measure, in all the directions, with a similar type of complexity as the Marui Samurai chassis... I had some checks, and what I thought initially to be a common plan was not...

In terms of approach, I decided to do one single sktech to fully define the profile, then did some extrusions from there and, applied the chamfers, cut from other plans and so on... Few pics with the different steps :

Once there, I got the holes applied...

And the next step was to deal with all the features on both sides...

Once the left side was done, next step was to make a mirror and to do the difference appliable to the right side (which will be retaining nuts for the transversal long M3 screws).
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Ducksnuts

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73945

With the two chassis halves in hand, it is time to make some joints and check everything is lining up...

A few minimal corrections here and there, and here is what I have

I have a small 1 mm doubt...

But having done checks on the gearbox, it seems that it is likely this way in the car... I checked the joint freedom degrees, and it is largely inside what is possible, so there is fair chance this is correct... (but I can't help thinking that it could have been much better to have this lined up)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73972

After my last post, I worked out the Bumper...

And it was very quickly added to the chassis...

Then I had a look in the box where I store the parts

On the left side, plastic parts already modelled. on the right side, whatever remains to do. If we consider that I have about 6 parts to check for the transmission completion, and for the shocks it is likely the same as on the exceed/midships, we are not far from the end of this chassis modelisation... and the Cosmo Shooter is sharing a lot of those components... This should go relatively quick, especially considering than the wheels are the same as the Midships plus a additional part for the Midships, and the front wheels wiould require some very simple modeling... Time to completion os not that far.

I continued progressing with the remaining part after that picture...
The motor plate is probably the easiest part to measure on this car... And the sketch 100% matches on the real thing (although the picture is difficult to take with only one hand).

The battery holders are in place as well

And last part I did was the receiver plate

Most of the difficult parts are done, now, it should go quick for the remaining elements...
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, Al, GToddC5

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #73974

Fantastic Marc. 

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #74034

The advantage with the modular conception of the Nichimos and the fact I model already 3 of them, is that I have already a lot of parts already available...

The rims and tires are the same as the Midships... But there is an additional disk for the Luminous (not a good idea IMHO, I may have a look at what it gives with gold wheels without the disk)... I added the menstion Super Pin Spike on it, which I did not for the Midships...

I did the upper links to complete the suspensions...

All links works perfectly, except on the rear where I could only make them working with a cylindrical movement (probably for less than .1mm)... 

Once this was In, I added the axles (same as the Midships) and the wheels...

today, after my day of work, I tackled the last cumbersome part of this chassis (whatever left is super easy :-) ) : the rear cage, which is again a measure nightmare... You have to have all the parts around to set the sitting points right. I first started by the part which is common to the 2WD chassis (I took a copy as new of it, to avoid doing it again)...

Then I completed the parts, and added the brace, body mount and wing mount...

Lastly, I added the switch and resistance holder...

At this stage, the plastic parts of the chassis are done. I need to include :
- the transmission, for which most of the parts (about 95%) are common to the Midships/Exceed
- the shocks (the rear are common to the Midships, and the front are easy to deal with, as there is only 3 parts to modifiy (spring, piston, and body)

And for the bodyshell and wing, I just have the wing, and no bodyshell... I may try to create one just like for the 44B Racing Baja, but that will be very much later. The program for tomorrow is the transmission and shocks, and if everything goes well, on friday I will tear down the Cosmo Shooter to be able to model the 2WD parts...

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #74082

This morning, before my working day, I just took teh time to create a shock file, include the rear shocks of the Midships, and do a copy as new to derivate the front one with the very few dims requiring modification... And added to the chassis...

That was quite quick, after that I closed Fusion 360, and reopened it after my day of work to deal with the transmission... I had to modify the center shaft and that's all for the front gearbox.

For the rear gearbox, I had the center diff and rear diff, but both shafts from the Midships required modification. It was also the case of the center shaft.

Once the diff to diff part was done, I focused on the rest... pinion and spur gear... And I discovered an expected issue.

The potential .5mm mistake was marked in my notebook, and was quickly corrected.

Once that was done, I added the servo saver and steering rods...

And I also added the dogbones and review the camber sligthly... And it is done.

Tomorrow I will have to tear down the Cosmo Shooter to get the last parts to model for this set of chassis...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, stevar

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #74094

As soon as my work day was other, it was week-end :-)
And operations started with the objective to move the Comso Shooter in Fusion360... My target is to have this car chassis done before the end of the week :-)

The Luminous is in much better state than this Cosmo Shooter...

The front cell is actually a steering servo box.  And the front shock tower is also different from the Luminous... There is part you don't see here which is also different : the part that is used to support the 2 servos on the Luminous is replaced in the case of the Cosmo Shooter by a single servo support... I did not unmount it, it was a nightmare to do : I did not want to remove all the screws tonight (I will have to do this for sur tomorrow as I will need to get the transmission down.

I decided to start by what I thought could be complex...

But it turned to be very simple : lot of the elements are shared with the 4WD front gearbox so it is really easy to derivate it from there...

And the right side shortly followed...

The front shock tower is using some of the sketches of the 4WD, and it was again super esay to do (having the basis means that once you've done the checks, you don't do measures anymore)...

I then started a chassis assembly with the common parts... i had already the rear cage variant, as the 4WD is the 2WD rear cage plus the wing support.

The servo support was measured in place (it's actually difficult to do this way, but many measure can be derived from the 4WD version :-)

And I also did the front axles and the wheels...

What's left to have the Cosmo Shooter completed :
- transmission : there a spur gear inside the gearbox I need to model. The rest is something I already have somewhere. For this spur gear, and the axle it is on, I have no choice I need to get the car in parts...
- the assembly itself

I don't know if I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. If so, it may take a bit of time to get the car in parts first. But if I have the time, I may be able to do it very quickly :-)

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Another Nichimo project... or maybe two, actually :) 1 year 2 months ago #74099

Today, I had one thing in mind when waking up : finish the CAD model of the Cosmo Shooter...

Started by removing some screws to get down to the transmission... I had to untight some of the screws in the middle chassi to give some space to remove the gearbox...

And then few others screws later, I had the parts I need to finish the model...

That is simple enough : the gear has logically the same number of teeth than the spur gear of the LSD (limited Slip Differential)... I knew that, but I needed it in hands to be able to model it properly, and anyway, I could have guessed the length of the axis, but it is better to model it to check the model (again :-) ). It did not take long, however...

Then I focused back on the assembly, starting by the gearbox...

And after some work involving joints (many joints), we have a Comso Shooter chassis...

And then I put the two chassis together...

I'll have to do some test prints before I can get those two cars having other adventures...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.