Keyword

TOPIC:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9321

Still no let up in the rain, but I needed to be getting on with getting ready for spraying weather ...

Nasty looking bit of sprue in the front windscreen aperture ...

... sprue in the truck bed looks a bit neater. Note the square plates on the Z sprue to cover holes in the sides:

Flash on the rear of the body ...

... & sanded off:

More flash on the front wings (the other side wasn't quite as bad):

... & sanded off:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9322

It's not in the same league as the holes in the re-hash Holiday Buggy & Sand Rover, but the Bruiser does have an "extra hole" problem - there are 5 screw holes in each of the sills, two of which aren't used ... Tamiya's answer is some stickers:

No way, Pedro :blink:

I'be bunged the holes up & given them a quick fill, lots of delicate sanding needed there I think ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9323

I fill holes with superglue (the same I use for my tires) and some backingpowder, do you have any experience with that, any long term after effect known?

Hope my Bruis arrives on Saterday, your tips are certainly very usefull.

I was thinking of doing the entire chassis in black (or maybe add some red or yellow), anybody tips on what kind of paint to use or should I find somebody who does powdercoating.

Last edit: by waterbok.

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9333

Nice work JR, I've never wanted a Bruiser, but somehow whenever I read through your build threads, I end up wanting what you building. My wife says I should stop reading you build threads... :silly: But that's not gonna happen...

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9335

I fill holes with superglue (the same I use for my tires) and some backingpowder, do you have any experience with that, any long term after effect known?

I've seen/heard the technique before, but never tried it. My problem with using cyanoacrylate as a glue for anything is that although it can seem to give a very strong bond, there's no flex or give in it - it's a strong bond right up until the point it isn't when it fails completely - add in water, humidity, heat, vibration etc & that joint failure can be quite soon after bonding. At least epoxy resins/glues seem to fail gradually...

I don't know whether the same would be true for using it as a filler rather than a glue (theoretically less load on the joint), but I think I'll stick with the Sqaudron white putty as it partially melts the plastic - that's a bad thing if you overwork the filler or want to sand it back quickly, but at least it does make for a stronger bond :)

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9340

Re: holes in the sills - the High lift is the same, there's stickers for covering them for that too (Poor in my opinion, after you've remortgaged your house to buy the model).
Does the re-re Bruiser come with posh metal decals for the wings & grille like the High lift?
Re: filler - for styrene (ABS body) filling, I use styrene cement mixed with expanded polystyrene foam (eg foam cup material) - the cement melts/dissolves the foam & bites into the ABS. A thick goopy mix works best. I also sometimes mix the cement with slivers of styrene spue or plasticard if I can't lay my hands on foam cups. It's really only good for minor filling though as it takes ages to dry enough to sand & usually requires several applications cos it shrinks a lot as it dries, but it is really strong. For big holes I melt up some old sprues with a clean soldering iron & weld the holes up (Same for breaks/splits) which is also a great method for fixing polyethylene, nylon etc (eg Holiday buggy bodies & parts that won't glue)

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9344

Sanded the sill filling back ...

Then tackled the door shut gaps - first with the tip of a razor saw, then with a bit of folded 800 grit paper:

Any imperfections left now I'll deal with by priming, sanding & repeating :)
Attachments:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9345

I've had a look at the decals, comparing them to a decent quality repro set (not like the tat on eBay):

Hog heaven logo
Attachments:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9407

Still chasing perfection on the sill holes - I think because I used the wet & dry paper freehand, I'd sanded the filled bits slightly concave, which showed up quite badly after a guide coat of primer. 2nd time around I used a small wooden block & results were better, but after a 2nd guide coat it's obvious that I still need to have another go on at least two of the holes.

No pics I'm afraid - my camera is not co-operating with closeups of white filler/white primer on a white body :whistle:

In other news, I have been looking for a driver figure for a long time - the most complete figure is the XR311/Cheetah driver, but of course it's 1/12th scale ... + the oen I bought on eBay turned out to be in extremely poor condition - it's missing all the fingers on the right hand for a start :whistle:

Wild Willy (of which I inexplicably have a couple of spares) was an option, but although he also has a pretty full body, the scale is all over the place.

I've been looking for a Sand Rover driver - I know it'll fit with a little work, because matey on TamiyaUSA.com did it - but despite the re-hash and the Street Rover, they seem to be extremely rare & have been going for twice what I felt was reasonable ... yesterday I managed to score one, not at a good price, but one slightly less usurious, so I'll be using that - complete with hat :) I'm thinking a blue lumberjack shirt & darker than average jeans to match the truck :)

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 10 months ago #9412

The vintage Hilux driver would work best in my mind, but the prices are hilarious! RC4WD were doing repros of that driver, but again, by the time you've landed one in the UK, the cost is gonna be prohibitive I suspect.
I emailed that bloke on Ebay that's doing repro heads & crawler detail bits, asking if he's gonna do torsos at some point (He said yes) but from previous experience with him, you could be in for a long wait.
I've also got a lazy eye out for the Hilux driver, & as soon as I can land one, the plan is to copy-cast a few up, but don't hold your breath....
What would be cool is if someone came up with a scale poseable driver. Again, I haven't yet seen any action figures etc that would be a suitable starting point for that kind of project

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.