Keyword

TOPIC:

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64421

Hello,
I've had this project in mind for quite some time now. 
I have seen a lot of existing projects but none of them met my expectations. Anyway buying a finished truck is not funny, the goal is to build it myself.
So I prepared a specification and according to that started the research of the components that could correspond to my expectations.
I took as a basis some pictures of models that were closest to my idea and started to study the project.

Here is the basis of my project. However, this is not quite what I want to do.

Based on this type of construction, I want to install a hydraulic crane between the driver's cabin and the dumper.
I will come back to the type of crane a little later.
To start with I ordered a Grand Hauler chassis, which according to my calculations had the ideal length.
Then I ordered front and rear axles. 
My plans are that all wheels are driven. My choice went to LESU front and rear axles. The suspension, which is the high version (+9mm) is also LESU.

Since all the axles have to be driven, I also needed a transfer case which also comes from LESU. The axles as well as the transfer box can be locked by means of servos.

Here is an overview after the assembly of the components

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, caprinut, Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64422

As I was missing quite a few components, as they arrived I had to review all my calculations.
After the arrival of the Tamiya Scania bodyshell kit, I started to install it in order to have a base for the rest.

Once the cab is installed, it's the turn of the 3-speed transmission from Lesu with the truck puller motor to take its place.

As these components are fixed, they will be the basis for all my future measurements...which I've had to do since the beginning... 
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64426

Awesome Manu! Happy to see you again.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64437

Nice and expensive project!
Lesu parts don't come cheap that's for sure!

I have a Scania project myself which is on the back burner atm.
Mine have modified TLT axle up front Der Getriebedoktor so it's converted to 6x6.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64442

Awesome Manu! Happy to see you again.

Thank you very much, you're not going to get rid of me that easily.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64443

Nice and expensive project!
Lesu parts don't come cheap that's for sure!

I have a Scania project myself which is on the back burner atm.
Mine have modified TLT axle up front Der Getriebedoktor so it's converted to 6x6.

Yes indeed, LESU components cost a small fortune and I must confess that my budget is by far not unlimited...unfortunately ha ha ha.
Hope to see your project soon

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64445

Welcome back Man :y: B)

I don't mind expensive (even on my limited means), as long as it's a long project & I get something epic at the end.

Expensive and short(er) is a problem, expensive and "meh" even more so...

:)

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64449

Well, the components and parts continue to arrive and I realize that I'm going to need a little more length to install all the elements.
I replaced the LESU chassis rails with the Grand Hauler ones.
Of course all the holes didn't match so I had to redo them all. Unfortunately I don't have an M2 tap for the small screws. So I managed to put nuts instead. I think I'll have to order a tap sooner or later. 
I thus took again measurements on the LESU chassis to transfer them on that of the Grand Hauler.

Once all the drilling was done, I assembled the suspensions and axles.
In the meantime, the hydraulic bucket, also from LESU, has arrived. 

This item was displayed on E-bay with two possible lengths. The delivery costs from E-Bay being exhorbitans, I contacted directly the seller to negotiate the price. The contact was very friendly and we found a common ground and I can only recommend this seller who is ToucanHobby.

Unfortunately the short version was no longer available and for the same price ToucanHobby sent me the long version, 500mm instead of the 380mm I wanted.
No need to tell you that all my measurements didn't match anymore. 
So at this point I had to start all over again with a frame already drilled to the dimensions according to my calculations.
Attachments:

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64453

Along the way I thought an extra axle would be more realistic. As the axles have already been ordered, I opted for a non driven axle, cheaper and faster to be delivered. However, this axle has to be liftable and steerable. 
The steering part is easy to do, I opted for a classic Tamiya front axle with leaf springs as suspension.

As I was installing this extra axle I realized that the high version of the suspension (+9mm) was causing me some problems. As I absolutely want this axle to be liftable, I thought about the possibilities with leaf springs. I tested a lot of solutions and none of them gave me satisfaction or was not the right technical solution, either because of lack of space or major modification of the chassis.

After thinking long and hard about the various options, I turned to fictitious tire suspension. As the problem of height was still an issue, a solution had to be found to compensate for this height. So I sawed a part of the chassis I had.

Here is the suspension mounted with the correct height

Attachments:

Last edit: by Manotas.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64455

The positioning of the axles conforms to my measurements and is as close as possible to the visual identity I want to give to the truck.
As the project progresses, more and more modifications will become necessary because of technical details that were unknown to me about the components.
But let's proceed step by step to understand the obstacles according to their arrival...

The Bucket having arrived I started its assembly step by step following the assembly manual.

attachment=37799]IMG_6008.JPG[/attachment]

Once the sub-frame assembled, the assembly of the arms can start

Attachments:

Last edit: by Manotas.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.