Keyword

TOPIC:

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64456

Assembly going on

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64459

The main mechanical part is now ready. It is time to install the hydraulic cylinders for lifting in the sub-frame.

With the large cylinders installed, there is still a smaller one left. This one will ensure the lifting function with removal of the skip.
This cylinder will push on a lever that must be installed under the subframe. This lever, which is quite long, will cause me some problems afterwards.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64460

Now it's time to install this on the truck chassis. So far no problem, everything is going as planned and I must admit that I was quite proud of my calculations and measurements. 

It all started to go wrong when I started with the assembly of this cylinder for the lever arm.
Depending on the position of the subframe, the lever arm comes to touch the rear axle.

The distance of the subframe is given by the width of the crane that will be placed between the cab and the hook of the dump body. 
As the cabin is a fixed point, the distance between the hook and the cabin is also fixed, I had no other choice but to move the rear axles.

I also thought about modifying the lever arm, but I didn't want to influence the maximum load. (let's not forget that it's thanks to this lever that the body can be put on the ground).
I moved the hydraulic cylinder attachment which is now higher and frees a little bit of space, but still not enough.

So I really have no choice but to move the axles backwards.

Note that at this stage, the holes on the frame appear a little bit everywhere as difficulties arise.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64461

Sure rhis project is not a grasshopper restoration. But woooohaaaa. That's crazy. The ingeniory conception etc... I love that. 

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64493

Projects like this are a joy to read.  It is fascinating to see how you work through the problems.  I will be interested to see your final axle configuration.

Last edit: by blakbird.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64496

Facinating is the word. Like your built Blackbird

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64776

Small progress on this project....
I started by disassembling the whole rear axle to move them further back.
As the chassis of the big Hauler became too short, I sawed off a part of the Lesu chassis that I had ordered and that was not adapted in length to the project anyway.

I changed my mind so much during the course of the project that I had to improvise every time a new idea came into my head.

Here the frame with the extra lenght

And now with all axles installed.
This position frees up space for the haydraulic cylinder pivot, but this is not what I had originally planned.
The non-driven and steered axle is supposed to be in the last position and not where it is now. 
For now I will leave it where it is because I still don't know the exact dimensions of the crane.

For information.... here is the Lesu suspension ordered first. In spite of the high quality of the Lesu components it seems to me that this one does not correspond in size to the rest of the suspension.

I did some research on the internet and found another supplier that not only offers larger air cushions but also is designed to be lifted.

The next step before the definitive installation of this new suspension is to wait for the delivery of the crane, which has been ordered :-)
I intend to keep my initial idea and place the non-driven axle in the last position as long as the hydraulic lever does not interfere with the driven axles as before.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64777

Really nice and expensive build!

There was a custom made tow truck here in Norway for sale some years ago @ £6700, and it got sold rather quick.
Most expensive I've heard was north of 10 grand, but the build quality was epic.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64778

Awesome manu.

Truck Project 3 years 1 month ago #64779

While waiting for the delivery of the crane, of which here is a preview " Lesu crane " I attacked the cabin.
As I mentioned, the cab as well as the two front axles are in final position.
I found a very realistic cab suspension kit that I will be able to install. It looks like this " Cabin suspension "

I must confess that this is not the quality of the LESU brand but it's still not that bad.
Rear part already assembled and installed, it fits perfectly on the pre-drilled holes and does not interfere with the gearbox.

Rear dampers:

The shock absorbers must be attached to the cabin by means of new fasteners. So I haven't drilled the holes yet because the front part arrived with a missing part.

This tiny little part of the front damper was missing

So I contacted the seller, and the part arrived last week with a new order.
The missing part with a few new items arrived :

More soon...

Thanks for looking

Manotas
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 2.343 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.