Keyword

TOPIC:

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68763

The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68776

Just finished the mechanism .
Just had to make some minor adjustments once assembled but it works as i wanted to.

This is the part that connects both air cushions

Final layout on lower position

Upper position. The travel is 18mm, this is enough to lift both wheels.

Next step will be to think about the lifting mechanism and then install it.

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Ducksnuts

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68790

Love it manu. 👏
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #69783

It's been a while since I posted anything here.... I haven't made much progress on my truck, but that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it.
I have been thinking about the rear axle lift system and doing some simulations with a friend who has a CAD program. It turns out that the way I did it is not the easiest one... As the axle support is not guided, I would have to design a symmetrical lifting mechanism to avoid tilting.

Anyway, I put this story aside for a while to focus on the installation of the differential locks. When installing the mini servo, I wondered about the torque required to operate the 4 locks. Having seen several models on the net equipped with this kind of servo, I assumed that it would work.  Diff lock installation

In the doubt I proceeded to tests.... and of course the servo is not powerful enough to actuate the 4 locks. I then ordered mini-servos with more torque...but still impossible to operate the 4 cables at the same time. I checked the cable routing and tried different routing options

I don't understand how the other systems work...or it's just fake ha ha ha

Well, enough with mini servos. I decided to install the mechnism with a normal sized servo with more than enough torque. Easier to say than to do. Where do you want me to put this additional servo there  .

Alright, once the place found, the rest is a piece of cake. Just had to do the re-routing of the bowden cables to the front...hoping that they aren't too short.

Once this made, a new test confirmed that this was the best option. The only lock funtion i have to install is the one from the central diff.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by Manotas.

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #69784

At what point did you realise it would have been less complex to build a 1:14, fully transforming model of Optimus Prime? 

;)
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #69789

To tell the truth, this project turned out to be more complicated than expected. I thought I had thought of everything, but I was far from it. It's full of details that I'm not willing to compromise on.Tackling Optimus Prime was or is a challenge that has kept me busy for a year now. Taking on a Bumblebee model might have shortened the time and allowed me to attack my restorations.But that's exactly what motivates me, to find solutions to make it work the way I want...If everything would work as expected the first time, it would be too easy  

Somehow you have a part of responsibility in this project. When I see the models you make/build from scratch and read your construction reports it motivates me to create my own by overcoming all the obstacles that come my way...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Last edit: by Manotas.

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #69790

I never saw any project where one can think everything from start... You will find always yourself to adapt and compromise on some stuff, just because facing the thing you will notice that you did not thought about everything... (And by the way, not sure that Bumblebee vs Optimus Prime makes much difference :-D)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #70099

During these festive days I took the opportunity to progress on Optimus Prime.... Thanks Jonny I'm going to adopt a nickname for my truck.

After the installation of the differential lock system, I thought that I should think about changing the transmission gears. 
First I thought it would be a good idea to place the servo just below the transmission. So I started to make some brackets for its installation.

And then mounted it at the planned place.

If the location is almost ideal, it is difficult to change gears with the rod bent in a U shape.
I should have imagined a shifting mechanism with a lever arm positioned straight on the shift control, but actually I opted for the "easy" solution and moved the servo.

So I started looking for the best location for this servo. 
As there is the hydraulic pump, the driveshaft, hydraulic lines and bowden cables for the differentials it was not an easy task.
I placed the servo at the height of the second front axle suspension mount, being careful not to let it touch all the components around it. 
I took care that the control rod was well in line with the transmission.

Note the angle of the servo supports... I took advantage of existing holes to test the position and after reassembling the front axles I was no longer motivated to disassemble everything again to drill holes. Maybe another day

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #70100

Awesome usine à gaz Manu. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Truck Project 2 years 3 months ago #70105

Awesome usine à gaz Manu. 

Yeah indeed but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.