Keyword

TOPIC:

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 4 months ago #69157

With a couple cars finishing up, have started looking at my next.  From Kamtec, a 57 Chevy body (that I just had to have) sitting on a Banger LWB chassis.

Main reason for going with the Banger chassis is the simplicity of it, which I figured was going to be much easier to modify than a Tamiya or Traxxis.
The simple lines on the body shell means it would also look better as a drag or stock car rather than detailed road car.  And then going one step further, this will be built as a 'Gasser'.
Some added extras will be the obligatory front mount fuel tank and headers poking through the front quarter panels.  And possibly wheelie bars out the back.

Pic from when the postie arrived.  Also in there is an Austin A60 Cambridge, that will sit on my M05 chassis (the NSU TT will be finding a different home).

Basic trim of the body shell, and mock of the chassis to see what i need to change.

Still trying to find the right tyres for the rear.  The ones above, and a set of Hoosiers I have, will work, but it looks more Funny Car than Gasser.  So am on the hunt for something that is 75-90mm and fits a 1.9" rim.  Which fairly much describes every crawler tyre out there.  Alternative would be a on a 2.2" rim.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 4 months ago #69165

Kamtec do some super body shells, I could spend hundreds of pounds on a lot of bodies. 

Gasser looks great, will be nice to see the old Austin on a chassis. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Ducksnuts

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70095

Finally got time to sit down and some progress on the Gasser.
After much thought, I've gone for the simplest option and just mounted most of the running gear under the chassis.  In the future I'd like to rotate the motor pod 90deg, so the motor is mounted above the chassis and rear axle below.  Another thought I had is using a rigid axle from a crawler.  Anyways, for now the only modification needed was cutting a hole in the plate for the steering arms.

The change in angle of the steering meant the original arms hit the chassis on full lock.  I started to knock up new steering arms from some bicycle spokes.  I way over complicated the angles, and ended up with too much free-play.  Then again starring at it the simplest solution presented itself, and that was to simply bend the original arms.

Next up I wired up the motor and swapped the Dean's plug on the battery lead for a Tamiya.

Started to prep the body for painting, but thinking I might cut the rear wheel arches a bit higher, which is bordering on Rat Rod territory.  But I can't get drag tyres in the size I want, and the body needs to sit a bit lower.  For the chassis plate, I've got some left over automotive rattle cans in matte black and matte clear coat.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70098

Yeahhh pretty nice 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, Ducksnuts

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70102

Looking niiiice
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, Ducksnuts

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70134

Nice one. looking forward to seeing the car fully built

Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70245

Thanks.

Apart from knocking up a bash-plate to protect the motor, I'm mostly at painting stage now.  But it's been a stooopidly wet summer, and the 80% humidity days have taken away any motivation to paint.....  I now have 2x 1/10, 2x 1/24, 1x 1/32 bodies, and some full size timber window frames all waiting for paint.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70256

Hi there, What a fun build :). Could I suggest F1 rear wheels for your build though, For me the current ones make it look more of a Tamiya comical gasser than a traditional. To me the Gasser rears always fit nicely in to the rear guards then the front raised, The fronts you have in the first picture look perfect :) 

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Ducksnuts

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70257

Yeh I've been struggling with getting the right size tyre for the rears.
Those F1 tyres could work. Do you know the outside dia?  Ideally I need something around 80-90mm.

The ones in the pick are stadium truck. Also have a set or rear Hooziers (on grey rims), but they are also to big, and really for funny/nitro style cars.

Was also looking at these, but they are 65mm OD and will look too small.  But then some Gassers do have the rear wheels fitting inside the body, so a 65mm may still work.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

'57 Chevy 'Gasser' 2 years 2 months ago #70258

And some Mickey Thompson fronts, to use on the rear.  But they are on a 2.2" rims, and guessing from the pic are about a 90mm OD.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.