Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

32p - 48p - 64p 8 years 11 months ago #34038

I have a large container of motor pinions and spur gears. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the various pitch gears. - cheers Vincenzo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

32p - 48p - 64p 8 years 11 months ago #34040

A while back we had a very nice community thing going to identify pinions for the old Tamiyas.
Jonny Retro also made a post on how to identify unknown pinions, have a look here:

tamiyabase.com/....html#2975

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

32p - 48p - 64p 8 years 11 months ago #34041

Thanks for that - have added it to my ever growing list of reference pages. I will have to read it several times for it to sink in these days (old age) :) but I do eventually get there.

cheers Vincenzo

32p - 48p - 64p 8 years 11 months ago #34045

A "large container"? A 40ft hi cube ? ;)

Measuring each pinion is going to be tedious, but for a quick pass through of the pinions you can make some generalisations:

0.8 Mod (most Tamiya cars) & 32dp (US & British cars, + replacements for Tamiya) with be the heaviest looking gears in your pile. They'll mesh together & are the same physical size for the same number of teeth, but 0.8mod teeth look a bit longer and pointier, 32dp look a little shallower & the flats on the very outside are noticeably wider. You can also generalise about materials: 0.8 mod tend to be alloy, 32dp tend to be steel (so you can differentiate them by weight &/or with a magnet. Brass pinions could be either.

0.6 Mod (some Tamiya cars, also known as "AV") & 48dp (generally the more advanced editions of US & British cars) are much finer, and also mesh together. 0.6mod pinions have a greater diameter for the same number of teeth, i.e. a 25T 0.6 mod is way bigger than a 25T 32dp gear. Pinion materials are not quite as clear cut as with the chunkier gears, but in general 0.6 mod are alloy or brass, 48dp tend to be steel.

Any leftover pinions will probably be 0.5 mod (very obscure Tamiya, I owned a NIP set for 7+ years & never used them so got rid) or 64dp (never seen any IRL).

Spur gears will probably either leftover from either Frog/Brat builds (0.8mod, big splined hole in the middle) or SRB builds (0.6 mod, very thin, slot for cross pin), or 32dp/48dp from "proper" racers, in which case identifying which cars they came from will be a lot more tricky ... and not something I can help with as you may have guessed :)

32p - 48p - 64p 8 years 11 months ago #34047

Every bit of info helps. With the exception of 1 Losi and 2 Associated, all vehicles are Tamiya so, rightly or wrongly would expect them, the Tamiya, to be 32p.

Also container is 40cm x 10cm x 3cm - Would love a container 40 foot full of different Tamiya vehicles - man I could really play Santa with that lot.

Cheers Vincenzo

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.