Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What Makes Buggy Models Different? 4 years 11 months ago #54823

• dougTFC
  • dougTFC's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Hey Everyone, I have a real "Newbie" question.

I'm trying hard to figure out all the nuances of the Tamiya Buggy models, but I cant figure it out. Are the Bodies & Chassis Of (stock) Buggies more of a cosmetic preference, is it really the electronics, motors, and suspension that make the real difference?

Or do the models (even without electronics) also have huge Advantages / Disadvantages?

I recently picked my first Tamiya based on a childhood memory, not really because I knew what the best option was. Going forward, I'd like to be able to discern what all the various differences and options are.

What's the best way / place to learn. Is there a current discussion or web page that displays / explains the differences between all the stock buggies?

Direction will be very much appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What Makes Buggy Models Different? 4 years 11 months ago #54827

Tamiya uses same chassis with several bodies.
Chassis have different characteristics. 4x2 or 4x4, and differents suspension type hobby or competition full plastic or frp or carbon. With or without upgrades.... a dt02 is largely less efficient than an avante for example.

What Makes Buggy Models Different? 4 years 11 months ago #54829

Another example. Your friends frog and grasshopper were totally differents. The conception etc. The grasshopper is really for beginners cheap but with a small performance. The frog is more expansive but wirh better efficiency.
The following user(s) Liked this: dougTFC

What Makes Buggy Models Different? 4 years 11 months ago #54830

I suggest you start with the Chassis Database on this site and then peruse the "Vintage 2WD" and "Vintage 4WD" chassis sections. You'll see more than a dozen different chassis represented there along with a brief description of each. There are quite a lot of differences other than 2WD versus 4WD. Some use more plastic, some use more metal. Some use simple swing arm suspension, some use wishbone. Some are solid axle, some are independent. Some are simple, some are complex. There is a lot of variation. Within each chassis type, there are often several different buggies which used that chassis or a variation thereof.

Beware, down this rabbit hole there be dragons! You can kill a lot of time doing this kind of research. Next thing you know, you'll be the owner of an unofficial international Tamiya online database.

What Makes Buggy Models Different? 4 years 11 months ago #54832

Have a look at blackholesun.fr
Great website to start with. Good explanation and comparison of Tamiya Models and chassis.
And don't forget to read the driver interviews.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.