Keyword

TOPIC:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52620

You sir are a master modeller, I doff my cap to ya :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52630

Fantastic Jonny. Wich color for its dress? A classic british green (washed) or a layete used grey blue? With the sheep in the bed. :)

Same blue that I re-did the 1:32 version in, which i'd like to think was a reasonable match to the colour Britains used in the 70s - 52% XF-2 Flat White, 48% XF-8 Flat Blue, with satin clear over the top.

I'm undecided if I want it to show any age or not ... if I do, I'll start with grey primer followed by aluminium, followed by the blue so I can rub through in places, plus white to sun bleach the upper surfaces :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: scale typo - 1:32 not 1:2 !!

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52631

Working on the canvas back ... brass roof "sticks" and card template ... guessing on 13 discrete parts to replicate the lines & layers of the 1:32 version.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52655

Time to start on the roof ... in hindsight (being reminded I can't sew for toffee) it mights have been better to use a finer thread :whistle:

Top made from single peice with brass "sticks" sewn in, part worked rear about to go on:

Top & rear joined, and screwed down (note floppiness at rear):

Upper side fitted (strechers in place on inside):

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52656

Lower side part worked & pinned on:

Side(s) complete:

Tail flap part worked & pinned on (note stretchers on top, these will go back in (temporarily) when the cloth gets resined) :

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, Al

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52660

You're a multi-talent, Jonny! :) :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52663

Last bit stitched on, rolled up & held in place with leather strips:

Protecting the body prior to applying resin ... this may look incredibly wasteful, but the last time I tried this I used masking tape & the resin bled through. Besides that, this was the last reel of a batch I bought around 1989 IIRC, it needed using up. I will admit I seem to have made a vehicular Smurf though :whistle: ;)

Resined up, I just have to keep the cat away from it overnight ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52672

Top separated, tape removed (and body given a good going over with IPA to remove stickiness :whistle:) ... resin has failed to soak through to some parts of the inside & will need a 2nd application...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52675

Nice work mate!

So the resin is added to make the cloth stiff?

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 5 years 4 months ago #52681

Nice work mate!

So the resin is added to make the cloth stiff?

It does do that, but even though making it semi -structural is a good thing in this case (there's really not very much holder up the back end of the "metal" roof), it also makes it rot / tear / stain resistant, but mainly it makes it more realistic, in that it adds visual "weight" to it (it sags more), you have more control over where it goes (or rather, stays), and it's a sound base for painting, and it's possible to weather it - paint on unsealed cloth is quite different (much more like dyeing).

Cloth doesn't scale particularly well, not quite as badly as using real water and hoping it'll look scale ...

Compare & contrast the following:

Wild Willy M38 canopy I made from unbleached cotton (might be 10 years ago now?): colour and weave weren't a bad choice, but it's all one plain colour (no real shadows/ highlights, hard to visualise the form/angles), the front edge is very wavy, and it sits like a 1:1 bit of cloth, not a 1:10 canopy...

Fake Wild Willy M38 canopy made from bleached cotton drill (a cloth with a heavy, visible slanted bias), this time sealed with resin, painted & weathered - in comparision, it looks heavier, you can see the form of it, and highlights/shadows ... IMO it's mroe realistic...

Tarpaulin over bits & bobs on my Valp roofrack - same cloth, same process as above, If I hadn't have done that, it wouldn't have the visual weight & the shape of the bits underneath wouldn't be visible.

Tarpaulin made for my Bedford skip truck... same cloth as previous two, but no resin and TBH the colour was a happy accident. 1/3rd dyed with tamiya XF-something or other straight out of the pot, but because I didn't have enough, another 1/3rd is the dregs of the paint + thinner, and the rest was water added to the cloth & squeezed so the paint spread... this "works" where I have it (folded up & bungeed to a pallet), but wouldn't have worked as a canopy or draped tarp.

:)
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.