Keyword

TOPIC:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 7 years 7 months ago #40050

Just read through the whole thread. Dude. Skillz :blink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44142

This was my plan for the CC-01 based Morris Quad idea - like that but in a different livery, with more scale looking water cannons ... I have a Pajero Metaltop Wide that's had about 10 minutes use so that was going to be the donor, I also got as far as buying a water pump (with an RS360 motor) & doing a bit of testing ;)

I still hope to build this in 1:10 RC at some point, but TBH it's got bumped to the bottom of the list - it just feels too much like repeating what I did with the RV ...

The G6-01 Konghead won't be released in the UK until the 2nd week in July, but I've got the build bug & don't want to be twiddling my thumbs in the meantime ... you'd think airbrushing the Sand Scorcher & Sand Rover would fill in some time, but I want a day, if not two that'll be free from interruption, and have the weather to do it - after the false spring in March here, every day for the last 2 & a 1/2 months has had the threat of rain ...

After a few days of looking at other currently available Tamiya chassis options (both new & used) I wasn't feeling the least bit inspired. Part of the problem is price, but Rule # 12 prohibits me from speculating as to why the cost of toys like this imported into the UK rapidly went up by 25% at the end of June last year :whistle:

But anyway, I remembered this, and actually worked up some enthuisiasm :) Another CC-01 chassis (a Landfreeder this time) is on it's way from Fusion Hobbies, and in the meantime I can do a bit of lathe work to replicate the dished pressing of the Quad's wheels on Tamiya Humvee items. First step though was photographing the Corgi diecast version, making those into line drawings, a bit of resizing to make them consistent. I still have the top view to do, but you get the idea :)

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44143

Very interested in this. Recently finished a Ford F15a CMP (with a liberal amount of artistic license) but based on the Type 13 cab.

Unfortunately the only thing Tamiya in it are the CR-tuned motor and the TLU-01 light kit.

Anyway if it helps at all, there are some pretty decent drawings out there for Type 11 cabs.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Jonny Retro, Edou, stingray-63

Last edit: by Michael.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44187

Landfreeder kit still not here (suppliers supplier problems :whistle: ), but in the meantime I've been working on the wheels ... it seemed a shame to modify/hide the details on Humvee wheels when I had a set of Pajero MTW (1st seen on the Blazing Star?) wheels that are otherwise of little use ... those were skimmed (almost) flat, and some blanking discs (4off 1.5mm sheet turned down to 43.75mm) made, along with some blanks for the "dished" part (4off 3 layers of 3mm sheet bonded together, then turned down to same 43.75mm):

Not the first time I've done this by any means ...

... but I don't use the lathe enough to remember "fancy" setups like angled counterboring of "large" parts...

I suspect my last batch of 1.5mm drill bit were made by the Hoo Flung Pu steel company - one didn't just break, it broke into four with one bit just below the surface ... I drilled along side it, punched the broken bit out, then made a clean 4mm hole + plugged it with styrene forms. Left to set, cut & sanded back, the repair is a slightly different colour, but nicely flush.

Remaining plating stripped off with caustic soda, wheel parts bonded/screwed togther:

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: yogi-bear, stingray-63, AndyAus

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44245

I have to say the current ream of card I'm on (Xerox 160gsm, same as I've used for 15+ years) is garbage compared to previous batches, horribly floppy & warps at the merest hint of moisture, even airborne, sub- 50% humidity :(

Anyway, that's my excuse why it's taken 2-3 days to come up with this sorry looking excuse for a card mockup (on my Valp chassis/wheels) ... I was a bit concerned I would have to take a razor saw to the CC-01 chassis to accommodate the odd front end of the Quad, but it looks like it should just about work, although the radiator may well have to come forward a bit and/or be a bit narrower:

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44246

Looking very much like a stumpy caricature of a Humvee ... Stumpvee? :whistle:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44251

I like it. Like in a cartoon. But you have main cardboards so that's no matter?

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44316

Landfreeder kit arrived yesterday, so I've put that together, using a set of CC-01 barrel springs, the wheels I'd already worked on, a set of the slightly bigger Unimog 425 tyres, and the GoolRC motor that's been hanging around for a while ...

Quite uneventful, apart from the regular clacking coming from the gears - this turned out to be the grub screw protruding slightly above the valleys between the teeth on the 16T pinion, thanks to the motor shaft not having the usual flat machined on it :whistle:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44351

Made some progress, rear wheel arch looked too big & high on the mockup, so is reshaped from the plans - about 5mm extra on the leading edge, about 12mm extra on the top, and a load more on the trailing edge, this makes the rear panel deeper (there didn't need to be that much lift IMO)... other side is mirrored ...

Started on some of the detailing, plus a lot of the basic shape (excluding the tricky front arches/hood :whistle: ) is now there:

:)
Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 6 years 9 months ago #44352

Nicely done Jonny, Those wheels look magnificent :y:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.