Keyword

TOPIC:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 6 months ago #31325

This ones not dead, just taken a bit of a back seat ... but yesterday I decided to do a litlle more on it - first I drew up a side elevation of the Britains cab at 2:1 in pencil (& ink for the final lines), used that for help with the front elevation, scanned them in, mirrored the LHS side to get the RHS, printed them out at 160% (2 X 1.6 = the 3.2:1 ratio I needed to go from 1:32 to 1:10) on 160gsm card, then started mocking up the cab ...

Still a long way to go, even in card - narrow the front lower windows, close off more of the interior & rear end, mock up the engine cover, then work out some way of splitting it so I can get to the interior of the final version for detailing & paint, and get access to the battery & radio gear ... so far I'm thinking the steering column, most of the interior/lower cab, seat/driver, wheel arches & rear end stay fixed to the chassis, and have the engine cover &cab fixed together, and hinge below the headlights - like a Drag "Funny" Car but backwards....

... I've also been thinking about the driver & am thinking a hybrid 4x4 Driver body & arms (for the gilet), Wild Willy boots & gloves & an Osbourne head - there ought to be a few of those about after everyone at TC bought all the Jacks & put Willy heads on them :whistle:

Sorry about not clearing the decks for the final photo, it was getting late & I'd had enough, it's very busy but I think you can see what's going on.

:)

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31336

Did a bit more in thin card - just not in quite as much detail. In hindsight, it all went together quite well so I probably could have done the body straight off in styrene, but TBH I was a little intimidated at the prospect, after all this is my first 100% scratchbuilt body (the RV doesn't count).

I still haven't made my mind up about the body split - a rear hinge could work just as well, as could having the whoel top/front section lift off. I don't have to make my mind up for a while, the next step is the rear wheelarches/mudguards/interior base/driver seat + more boxing in.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31349

Attacked a WW & 4x4 driver & reassembled some of the bits ... bit of an extreme way to get rid of the race belts in hindsight :whistle: ...

Osbourne figures arrived ... I had to wash my hands after just unpacking them, + they stick of rothmans & chip fat :sick: I'm tempted to keep the one figure I need & bin the rest ...

Card body mockup has suffered a bit in dismantling to take measurements; rear end structure is basically there now, but a lot of reinforcing, filling, sanding & shaping will be needed; cab is still a work in progress.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31384

Basic cab shape ...

Lots of filler, especially where things got a touch melty where I adjusted the left rear wheelarch :whistle:

All sanded back:

First pass of details on the cab; and having looked at some photos of the 1:1 vehicle, instead of doing the engine cover "stripes" in white & black vinyl, I cut out the area (& that was no fun at all) & will fill it with a styrene insert instead.

The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31395

Working on the side vents ...

... and the exhaust ...

Sound unit arrived from Technobots...

Vents & exhaust fitted (M3 screw from underneath), along with a bit more detailing on the engine cover top:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31415

Starting to look the usual excellence. :y:

Last edit: by Edou.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31432

Working on the grille & front LED holder; I had hoped to fit a full lighting setup, but there just isn't the space under the engine cover for the control box, and based on the experience with the Blackfoot RV, nowhere to hide the wiring ... instead there will be two 10mm LED headlights, basic tail lights & possibly an illuminated dashboard, either permanently on or TX switchable, depending on whether I have to use 2-channel 27mhz radio gear, or if 5-channel 2.4ghz works with the sound box...

Working on the rear window brace...

... Wiper ...

... Mirrors ...

Everything fitted, along with door handle, hinge & gutter details, plus the "glass":

Just a few more body exterior details to do, then I can think about chassis greeblies, then the interior (which I've been putting off, TBH).

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31479

I've hit a bit of a snag - having soldered up a new battery/ESC/lighting switch adapter, the electrics all work fine, but there's no way they're all going to fit in the 45mm x 60mm x 100mm space under the engine cover ... plan B is to use a much smaller battery, lose as many adaptors/plugs as possible, and possibly even uncase the sound module. I'm still hoping to gain a bit of space when the cab false floor goes in.

Run time will be a bit compromised, but I managed on 1100mAH and 1200mAH packs first time around in RC, 1300mAH was a luxury then :)

Engine sound was probably loud enough, but with the tiny speaker loose under the engine cover, sounded really harsh & tinny... I will stuff & port this enclosure, but I don't think it'll help much as it's so small, but it & the the cone are as big as they possibly can be for this application. The driver unit will also have to go in magnet out :whistle:

Body is held on by 10 10mm OD x 2mm Neodymium magnets, Araldited into styrene locating rings. I'm going to leave them exposed for the moment in case I have to double up anywhere once the finished weight is known.

Starting on the seat...

... basic shape is there ...

... but it places the driver up a bit too high. I think I can make a 5mm to 6mm notch in the base, but no more than that...

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31481

Jonny, I really enjoy following your builds. It's inspiring (and I'm envious) to see your work! :y:
Keep it coming! :cheer:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31507

I've done a bit of work on the interior, unfortunately the only bits I took interim shots of were the "rubber" convoluted bits for under the seat ...

... but it's the end result that matters, this is them fitted (over a 3-sided tapering support structure), along with the false floor & supports/infills, scribed floor "mat", pedals, seat arms, range & handbrake boxes. Note the Wild Willy gearsticks; also the handbrake did have a release button, but that seems to have fallen off - I'll just paint one on instead.

Driver (with glued on 4x4 driver steering wheel) fits like so ...

... and the cab (along with a new steering column box) mates to that:

Inevitably there have had to be some compromises vs. the 1:1 interior due to the outside being a 3.2:1 upscaled model from a toy & combining two Tamiya figure for the driver, but I think it gives the right sort of flavour.

I will add some sort of instrument binnacle, lights lever behind the steering wheel, and some sort of grille detail to the sides of the steering column though.

The amber roof light arrived from Hong Kong ... I think I might wire that to the TX switch & leave the rest of the lights permanently on, given the potential for annoyance ...

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.