Keyword

TOPIC:

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 3 months ago #47582

Hmmm ... noise reduced from really loud & annoying to more tolerable (but with much less air) ... just sound like pointless motor vibration though, so really not worth the extra work & complexity.

I guess that means it's time to dismantle for paint, trying to do something about the warped cab side on the way. :)

Have a look at this Jonny.... A bit pricey but it might help as you can programm self recorded sounds

Sound generator
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 3 months ago #47777

Stripped down ready for paint ... not sure I did myself any favours there as the weather really isn't right ATM :whistle:, but at least I can heap it up to one side rather than have it take up the whole bench...

Attachments:

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 3 months ago #47781

Wooo. Big puzzle Jonny. Could you make a video of your MF when it will be ended?

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 3 months ago #47785

Could you make a video of your MF when it will be ended?

Can i second that :y:

Last edit: by goldfish999.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 3 months ago #47786

Hey Jonny,
Thanks for that info on the servo controller, I can see that being very useful. I will add one to my always on the go shopping list.:)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 1 week ago #49498

Seeing it layed out like this (post primer) makes me wonder - what on earth was I thinking? :blink:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 1 week ago #49500

Yup.. you have some work ahead of you
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 1 day ago #49751

Sprayed the air intake grille, unloading boom & clamps, battery cover, elevator box, spotlights, cab and belt cover box lid a few days ago and used 1.5 400ml cans of Post Office Van Red ... I looked at the 1.25 cans remaining & thought that would never be enough to do the three remaining (and biggest bits) so ordered 2 more cans ... yesterday I did the 1st and 2nd coats, today the 3rd and 4th - and still have at least a 1/4 can remaining :whistle:

Yesterdays thought - need to make some more Massey Ferguson farm gear. The 135 model tractor generally doesn't have any protection (make me cringe just looking at it, even a model), but even if I did build it with a cab, although the cab would be about the same size as the Fiat I built, the axles would have to be narrower, and the engine cover area way shorter - and it was enough of a problem getting the required stuff in the Fiat.

The 595 model is about the same size as the Fiat, and apart from the slight challenge of the engine being partially exposed, I don't see much to capture my interest, fundamentally it would be repeating the Fiat build again.

The 2680/3650/3680 Ffamily though, despite being late 80s is still from the period where tractors were angular, is bigger - ignore-the-smaller-front-wheels-and-use-a-Clod-for-a-4WD-donor type bigger. That and a seed drill should take care of the surplus paint. :)

Todays thought - why do smaller parts use more paint than big ones? I've always reasoned it was simply that using correct technique (more the aerosol from side ot side, starting paint flow before it hits the target, and stop only after you've past it) wastes a higher percentage of paint on a small target than on a bigger one, I don't see how anyone could argue with that - however I worked out the mathematical proof for it.

Headlines are that I fould very little consistent data on the coverage you can expect from an aerosol, so it's a case of what assumption do you start from? I found mention of someone using 13 400ml cans of matt black on their Beetle, and worked from there :whistle:

I worked on theoretical cubes of multiples of 50mm, and concluded that you could spray 11 50x50x50mm cubes with one 400ml can, or one 300x300x300 cube with the same amount of paint, meaning that per square mm, "small" things use more than three times the amount of paint than "big" things, for those arbitrary values of "small" and "big" anywhere ... didn't get as far as typing it all up pretty for publication, and for the sake of completeness I really should have carried on until I got one neat equation ... but it's really boring, and tedious. I'd far rather overbuy on paint a couple of times a year than tie my frontal lobes in knots any more, for what would be pretty useless anyway - how do you reliably work out the surface area of an RC car, simply? Probably best to stick with the approximation that one 250ml can ought to be enough on the average car, but if it's a longer way to the shop or difficult to get hold of (or postage is a large portion of the price), Get a spare. Clods/Bruisers etc, always get two ... if you're building something silly big, you're on your own.

I'm boring myself, so here's some tractors:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 1 day ago #49752

Awesome project :y:

I guess there has been used a good amount of styrene in this :lol:

Ordered some big sheets of styrene last summer, as the normal sizes are stupid expensive around here.
But still not seen any of that order.

Is Hobbylinc still the best styrene supplier for the buck?
Long time since I ordered anything from there...

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 1 day ago #49753

Is Hobbylinc still the best styrene supplier for the buck?

TBH I'd never heard of Hobbylinc, I buy sheets from www.stationroad...lastic.htm
Despite the rather ropey looking website have always been 100% reliable, and always the cheapest - other suppliers can look cheaper until you do all the maths, when you take sheet size into account & so on, others end up being a lot more expensive ... no idea what shipping overseas would do to the prices though.

I get "Evergreen" brand forms/tubes etc from a couple of UK mainland suppliers on eBay, I could look up their names but basicallt they're the ones that are cheapest with the most extensive range. I have bought cheaper forms, but they're shorter, don't stick as well, and the forming is nowhere near as accurate.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.