Keyword

TOPIC:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31646

I managed to get a bit of priming done in the half hour break in wind & rain yesterday ...

The last time I used Ford Signal Orange it came out a bit too bright (and yellow), this time I'm going to use red oxide primer instead, the chassis will need the interior & base/tub masking off so I can spray orange, then the wheelarches/rear deck/fuel tank masking to spray brown ...

Body was primed in white so I can spray the grille, vents & cab stripes VW Alpine white, followed by masking, red oxide primer, then orange...

Front wheels (which have a had a disc glued in the joint filled with Milliput) looked ok after a couple of coats of white primer ...

... but the rears still look very pink so will need more primer:

Driver, head, exhaust & front weights all got primed too :)

I estimate there's another 5 bouts of spraying required, this could take some time ...
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31665

All the details made sense - gloves a la Willy's Wheeler, the helmet too but with the accent in orange to match the colour of the tractor, green wellies, blue jeans & green gilet because he's a farmer, Madras pattern shirt in orange to relect the tractor colour again ... in practice Willy is in severe danger of having his barn door kicked in by the Fashion Police :blink:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31668

Ha ha, lookin' good. You need some cow chip on his boots. Don't forget a little of grass shoot, sticking out his mouth.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: see rules 1 & 2

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31690

Chassis (partially) sprayed orange & masked for brown:

Everything back from the shed; just a bit of touching in to do & then quite a lot of detail painting :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, Dam, stingray-63, AndyAus

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31695

This is as far as I got last night ...

Attachments:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31696

... & 99% done today, I still have to paint the inboard end of the front LEDS & fix them in permanently. Otherwise, I left the amber beacon off as I'm not overly impressed with its function, plus it would be impossible to to route the wiring invisibly through the cab. I'm not sold on the PininFarina badge TBH.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31697

Should have added that the total weight in a smidge over 2kg, witht the weight distribution about 55& rear/ 45% front (and fairly even side to side).

No idea of the true top speed, but from a quick test on the carpet it's far more than a tractor needs to be (despite the 55T motor) & with the way it accelerates I'm glad I fitted the wheelie bar :blink:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31698

:woohoo: Jonny it's always so amazing to see your creations. Still more with the details level.
SHNELL next story please!
TOO NICE!
(with your 55t you made a tractor puller :whistle: )
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31699

Test drive went fairly well, though I did lose one of the stalks on the steering wheel because it fell off while I was connecting the battery.

Speed is faster than expected at about 60% of a lunchkin with a 540 silvercan & Ni-Cds/NiMH, and about the same as a 380 powered Grasshopper - with hindsight that really shouldn't have been that much of a surprise, the motor is twice the turns but 2S Lipo will add a little speed, as will the taller gearing caused by the slightly bigger wheels.

Wheelies only happen when going from reverse to forwards, and I only did that once as the wheelie bar is too short (those big wheels again) so I stood it on it's back window... :blush:

Suspension is surprisingly good given the speed, the front may only have little springs & very little travel, but stays reasonably well planted & doesn't seem to have the horrendous bump steer that Tamiya rolling rear axle chassis cars usually suffer from. It does squeak a bit though. Rear suspension really does need some damping, it bounces quite a bit & has a bit of the rolling rear axle chassis skip.

Steering is OK, the turning radius is reasonable, but it does has a tendency to understeer (on grass anyway), though it's still a lot better than a Lunchbox or equivalent at the same speeds. The body stayed on ok too, so the number of magnets I used must have been about right.

LEDs work OK, the sound module too - the sound is much louder when it's heading towards you, I won't call that realistic but it's not wholly unreasonable, and is to be expected with the acoustic compromises I had to make to fit everything under the engine cover, and that "hit & miss" front grille.

I had thought I'd lock up the rear diff, but having only narrowly avoided a sideways rollover because the tractor lost drive when the inside rear wheel lifted during an overly ambitious full speed/ sharp full lock turn, I'm inclined to keep it active :blush:

After a bit less than 10 minutes, it refused to move, though I could hear the motor whizzing & the sound module working - I thought I might have stripped the spur gear, but it turned out to be the other perennial rolling rear axle/big wheeler chassis bugbear - a lost wheelnut, though unusually it was the right rather than the left. The Frog hop-up aluminium hex wheel adapters are the problem - they don't leave enough thread exposed for the nylon part of a nyloc nut to grip - flange nuts & a dab of medium threadlock will "fix" that.

Attachments:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 5 months ago #31700

What an excellent project JR :) and a great write up on it's performance to boot :y: love it :y: only part not for me is willy's helmet You've given the rest of him some originality but gone with the normal scheme on that :huh: I was hoping for a suitable country theme :P top job though B)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.