Keyword

TOPIC:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31877

....and he's back on it again :woohoo:

I love watching you make this stuff Jonny!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31881

How about plastic drain pipe or something for the tank?

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31882

How about plastic drain pipe or something for the tank?

I did look into that, but the cost, wall thickness & being a different plastic (so potentially issues with joining it) put me right off ...

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31883

I knew there was a good reason why I should make the baffles ring shaped rather than solid, but it escaped me, so I left them solid ... then realised if they were rings, it would make fixing the skin on so much easier if I could put the DCM on from the inside.

Due to the angle it doesn't look it, but this is the centre - measure diameter (142mm), set compass to 1/2 that, run two arcs from the edge & where they cross is the centre, 3rd is just to check.

After a lot of dremelling (I didn't need access through the centre baffle, so left it alone) & gluing the 1st later of 0.5mm sheet:

That did leave the outside surface a bit wobbly, but a 2nd layer smoothed things out considerably:

Cutting through the 1st layer for the wheel insets:

Bonding the two layers around the openings:

2nd layer cut through:

Wheelarches/liners are setting ATM, I've also been giving the ends of the tank some thought ... they ought to be dome shaped, I'll have a look around & if I can find something the right profile there are a few options (crash forming, casting, vacuum forming), if not they'll have to just be flat bits of sheet.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31912

I decided to do the tank ends flat in the end ... not ruling out making a vacformer at some point in the future, just not yet ... besides which, you need to have something to form over, and if I could make a shallow dome I wouldn't need to vacform it :whistle: I did look at getting a few different size clock glasses & taking a cast off the inside, but it's a look of expense & faffing about I can avoid by just doing them flat...

Mudguards are a bit of a compromise, thin enough to take the right arc means they're too thin to hold a 90 degree edge...

... I did have the cunning plan of taping the edges at the right angle & then heating it to relax the plastic, but you can see how well that worked:

Not a pregnancy test stick for elephants, this is the start of the drawbar (very abbreviated chassis):

Axle is made from layers of styrene, some drilled 10mm for bearings, most just 5mm here:

I had to hoover myself too :whistle:

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31919

Good work JR :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31933

Basic construction done - it's "just" details & paint from here on...

Tank pivots around axle at the rear & is sprung at the front a la 1:1 tanker, spring seats are de-chromed & cut down Lunchbox shock bodies. Angle is a bit much at 7 degrees vs the models' 5 degree tilt, either this will decrease as the weight increases or I'll have to find shorter/softer springs; tow hitch is a bit of a lash up but may not improve that much :whistle:

I'm reasonably happy with the size, there's some bits to hang off the rear & increase the height a bit so the proportions will change (improve IMO) as this goes on, but I'm quite clear that the twice as long/twice the diameter dimensions of the tank that a "correct" build would have required would have been silly :)

Attachments:

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31936

HI JR,
This is looking good, but have you tested with a wider wheelbase?
To me, the wheelbase looks a bit on the narrow side.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31937

It's 226mm wide, in proportion with the rest of the tanker - it's the tractor that's "wrong" :)

1979 Fiat Trattori 880 DT Pininfarina build 9 years 4 months ago #31938

It's 226mm wide, in proportion with the rest of the tanker - it's the tractor that's "wrong" :)

Ah, ok. Still, for the pair, I think a wider wheelbase would suit it ;)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.