Keyword

TOPIC:

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68723

It will be awesome. With flat clear coat to protect?
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, Lemsko, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68737

It will be awesome. With flat clear coat to protect?

Hadn't really though about that but I should have done :y:

A good day for painting today - I cheated a bit & did the Light Sea Grey, Dark Grey & NATO Black without cleaning the (Chinese dual, action, siphon feed) airbrush in between :whistle: 

I cleaned it before switching to White & the Yellow/Orange mix (that beak is probably a bit much TBH, especially as it's not exactly finely sculpted ;)) & again after.

I used the "big" green compressor, it's surprising how much air you can get through & the little (2.5L) one would have been running continuously.

I used a Badger copy single action airbrush for the clear - with the nozzle wide open & running at 50psi, it's practically a spraygun :D

I'm currently working on the eyes, indoors :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68748

Yeahhhhh nice result Jonny👏👏👏

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68795

Eyes done means it's finished :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68796

looks great :)

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68798

Paint rack “finished” &  installed with 12v switchbox, chargers & cooling fan/racks installed on top.

Note satin finish of cure sanding sealer, it is the same colour all over, apparent discolouration is the shadow from a desk fan. 

In use, it’s disturbingly loud every time a jar touches the bottom of a shelf – which happens a lot as you’re looking for a colour. I don’t think the sanding sealer helped, but even so it’s a bit sounding board so I’ve ordered some self adhesive foam sheet to line the drawers. 

I did think about getting another unit – it would definitely fit but I’m not sure about relocating the fan & lamp – to house the spares, empty jars, and all the airbrush jars.

The problem with them is that while nominally a very similar size, around half fit, 25% are marginal (meaning they’ll fit at the drawer edges where the structure is strongest, but further towards the middle the upper shelf layer (which is 95% holes) gets badly strained.

The other 25% don’t fit at all. The issue is not the size, it’s how out of round they are. They usually start round at the base, but become more oval towards the opening, so two points 180 degrees are narrower than they should be, and the two points 90 degrees between them are wider.

Tamiya 10ml jars aren’t immune to the problem, though do seem better made. The 23ml jars show greater runout.  

I suppose I could ask for a shelf made (with lower capacity) to accommodate the variability of the airbrush jars, and another for the 23ml Tamiya jars, but that feels a bit limiting at the moment, wasting space goes against the point of having it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68841

Yesterday I cut & fitted the black 6mm self-adhesive foam (which turned out to none of those things) to the paint rack.

For a start, It wasn’t self-adhesive. I blame having looked at so many eBay listings that turned out to be for a postage stamp size bit of 1mm foam for the stated price, when what I needed was preposterously expensive in comparison. Having found a listing that wasn’t completely misleading, I missed that it was plain foam. 

It also wasn’t 6mm, it was 2 layers bonded together, and because of the way it had been rolled, using the dark grey (not black) side wasn’t an option, so had to use the slightly less dark grey side uppermost.

After cutting, and fitting with double sided tape, it does the job, but typing this has made me aware it’s so dull I can’t be bothered to take a photo of it :whistle:

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68845

I have lots of problems with tape, foam and stickers these times. Especially tamiya stickers. And their double sides tape. And from differents kits. Same my 3M mirror tape doesn't stick very well. 😤

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68846

Why did you put fans on your box Jonny?

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #68847

Why did you put fans on your box Jonny?

To keep the chargers cool during use, + cool NiCd & NiMH batteries after charging :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.