TOPIC:

Adventures in painting 1 year 4 months ago #73056

They look cool

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adventures in painting 1 year 4 months ago #73067

The Buggy Champ drivers look very good 

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74128

Something that’s always bothered me is how to adequately mix model paints before use. In my Humbrol enamel tinlet days, I only had a small number of paints & used a “lucky” small, flat bladed screwdriver that I wiped each time. Moving on to Tamiya acrylics, I used and re-used cooks matches (bare end first), then moved on to cocktail sticks – bought by the thousands – as they lost a bit less paint each time. 

I bought (and reviewed) a badger battery paint stirrer, and although it’s very good at mixing, it’s a faff having to clean it each time, you lose paint each time, and there’s always a risk of cross-contaminating the paint.  I’d always seen the vibrating mixers as an unnecessary luxury, which wouldn’t really fit in my “hobby room” in terms of space and design, but a better mixer/method has become more pressing. 

Now I’ve got more than a few Vallejo paints, which come in dropper bottles. Unlike the larger Pro-Line R/C Body Paints, they don’t really have enough ullage (especially when new), and most don’t have a ball – making shaking them rather ineffective. These “vortex” mixers have moved from being strictly laboratory equipment for decades, to finding a place in nail salons, with pastel colours to suit. As they’ve moved into tattooists hands, and then into those of hobbyists, the designs and colours have become more multipurpose, but with this increased popularity, low prices – and therefore much lower build costs and lower quality have become an issue. 

I should have jumped on board a few years ago when spending 50 GBP meant you’d get a good (if pastel green or purple) one. Now you don’t know if spending the same is going to get you one that’s no better than a 20 GBP one. 

Let’s rewind that back though … lab equipment? If I bought one from any time from the 1950s onwards, it would probably have an equal – if not greater – life expectancy than a Chinese one built today. Lab equipment generally goes in distinct design/colour eras – lumpy brown, gold, green, off white, then angular off white, metallic blue, blue & stainless – and for a brief moment, angular and _orange_ was in. 

Almost immediately I found someone selling a couple of likely candidates – a Fisons Scientific WM250F Whirlimixer which would have done the job for 40 GBP posted, and a Gallenkamp SGP-200 Spinmix for 50 GBP posted. The latter was my preference, having an “auto” setting so it starts as soon as you touch anything to the rubber head.

It also has a speed control dial. This is not unusual on many makes & models of this type of equipment – but these ones go up to eleven :D

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, Ducksnuts, mirrorman, GToddC5

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74191

It also has a speed control dial. This is not unusual on many makes & models of this type of equipment – but these ones go up to eleven :D

LOL...  That's pure gold!!!

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74339

Put together the most recent batch of Buggy Champ bodies. Couldn't find the window net anywhere so ordered some more, but I'm not sure if they really need it...

I'll try to get some half decent pictures of them on a chassis before I put them on eBay :)

I was going to go Jägermeister on the orange one but went more like the Bob Maynard Racing Funco buggy instead, the red one is closer to box art, the blue one is more '73 Belray Bullet.  I have another 3 Buggy champ bodies to do, I'll try to be a bit more brave with them ;)

I also have three Penguin copies of the vintage TMS polycarbonate SRB buggy body, I expect after that they'll stop being fun & I won't feel the urge to do any more :D

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, GToddC5

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74340

I love them. Is the rere srb fiable to be run ? 

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74343

Something lost in translation? I didn't really follow that :(

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74346

Something lost in translation? I didn't really follow that :(

If I had to guess, I believe he's asking if the Penguin copies are viable as runner bodies?

Let's see how close I got 
IG_tamiyaddiction

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74347

Sorry guys. I was spoken about the chassis. Is it easy to use and run without break every run . 

Adventures in painting 1 year 1 month ago #74348

My srb are on the shelf and my beetle made by jonny on my bed desk.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.