TOPIC:

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40665

Fail to stick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40666

Would araldite be any good

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40671

I doubt it as I haven't had good experience getting it to stick to smooth surfaces...

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40675

TBH i would have thought Araldite was a pretty good bet - It's true that it won't stick to perfectly smooth surfaces, but I would have thought paint over Lexan ought to be rough enough (at least microscopically) ... I've used it to hold down small/powerful Neodymium magnets on ABS/styrene (keyed, or cast sheets - not stuff straight out of the injection mould) and for repairs on styrene (ditto) with good results.

I think I'd try trim tape first though - it's like servo tape but much stickier & cheaper (per area anyway) - and is available in various widths. Try looking for "Double Sided Car Trim Moulding & Badge Tape" :)

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40676

Sticky-wise, this stuff was the best I came across:

www.jbweld.com/...-twin-tube

A combination of tape and glue could also be an idea, as I suppose the magnets are the problem.
Strong enough tape should easily stick to a lexan shell.

How about a picture of the parts in question?

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40864

A combination of tape and glue could also be an idea, as I suppose the magnets are the problem.

Sorry a bit late

Attachments:

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40865

Sorry a bit late

Attachments:

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40873

The problem is the magnetic attraction between the magnet & the body post is greater than the the stiction between the double sided tape & the body - so as well as using something stickier to hold the magnets on, a layer (or more) of insulation tape over the exposed surface of the magnet and/or bodypost will reduce the magnetic stick; there should be a point where there's enough magnetism to hold the body on but not too much that the magnets get pulled off.

The adhesive on tapes also has a setting time - where this is specificied, manufacturers usually say wait 24 hours for full adhesion.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40876

Thanks
Yes that's the problem the two magnets are just too strong I am thinking of using some thin steel so there is only one magnet to contend with

Magnetic body posts 7 years 5 months ago #40877

All sorted now used thin steel and double sided tape and put some new tyres and wheels on
Attachments:

Last edit: by Hornet neil.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.