Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 10 months ago #44049

Warning - 4 year old thread alert ... still in the "thinking time" phase :whistle:

Possibly a bit premature, as the UK release of the Konghead will probably be the 2nd week in July - but I've been doing some thinking about this & don't want to have forgotten by the time I start...

First thing to notice is that the wheel spacing is wrong ... at the very worst I'll just have to live with it - but having seen Tamiya's video of it, and looking at the manual, the chassis is definitely capable of 4 wheel steering - even if I haven't been able to get my head round the manual enough to say whether or not the Konghead kit will include the necessary parts for it (I'm thinking yes ATM).

This setup (1st axle, plus 3rd axle reduced & opposite lock) is not the same as the Fuchs (1st axle, plus 2nd axle reduced lock in same direction), but my thinking at present is that swap parts front to rear & run the chassis in the reverse direction - and it's probable I can juggle the wishbones around on the 2nd axle to increase the space between the first and second axle. 2nd axle steering as well as that spacing may be wishing too much though ... If it fails to work out I can always build the chassis as Tamiya intended...

... and talking of fudging, the Fuchs is meant to be amphibious, and as such has a pair of steerable props ... these appear to on steerage spigots (?), but I can see them having to be purely decorative at 1:12 (I think) scale, or angled down & out on conventional propshafts.

A quick search online resulted in a decent resolution blueprint for the Fuchs, but I do like to have a physical model to work from - so I bought a Revell 1:72 plastic kit 7 built it last weekend. "Skill level 3" it said - but the main skills involved appeared to be not snapping too many bits while attempting to get them off the sprues, and not taking a hammer to it all in frustration at the excessive fiddliness of the parts ... I often find anything below 1:10 a bit on the difficult side, but I can't help feeling the design here owed more to Revell wanting to show off the fineness of their toolmaking, rather than what would make sense as a kit :whistle:

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 10 months ago #44050

Awesome!
The konghead was early made by an american who made a 6x6 upgrade kit for the bullhead. I can't find the magazine article. But I remind that it had 6wheeles, alloy rims with inflatable twin tires.
Another crazy project at JR's work room. :y:

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 10 months ago #44051

Excellent project plans, Jonny!
I have seen images that the Konghead can have steering on both front and rear axle.Don't know if that's included in the kit or not.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 10 months ago #44070

konghead 6x6x6 maby you can use mud blaster parts? they look like eachother

Last edit: by poebe.

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 10 months ago #44080

Jonny, at around 4:40 in the below video, you can see a Konghead with steering also on the rear wheels.

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 10 months ago #44092

Jonny, at around 4:40 in the below video, you can see a Konghead with steering also on the rear wheels.

Yep, that was the video I was referring to :y:

Manual links (on Tamiya.de site): tamiyablog.com/...01-manual/

:)

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 9 months ago #44585

UK release date has been put back - Modelsport were claiming 22nde June, now listed as 8th of August; Fusion Hobbies were claiming (I think) 2nd of July, now put back to 2nd August - really glad I started something else in the meantime ...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 6 years 2 months ago #48134

I saw this pic and immediately thought of the Konghead and you, Mr Retro. I will one day attempt this but my skills are no where near your level yet so it will go in the future project folder. In ten years I should be able to do it...maybe.

en.wikipedia.or.../ZIL-E-167
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Last edit: by Oldcoldbellybadness.

My cunning plan: G6-01 Konghead based TPz-1 Fuchs 3 years 1 week ago #65568

Still thinking about this ... I have too many RC vehicles & projects ATM, especially as so many take up more space than a "normal" car, so have been re-evaluating what I really want to do.

Evidently, a Fuchs hasn't been high up my list, and TBH it's still only on there because I don't like saying I'll do something & not following through. 

It's coming off the list now though - I'm just not that interested in doing a military vehicle. There are points at which I'd have liked a Humvee but never bought one, the XR311 has sat on the same bit of shelf since finishing it however many years ago & is a very strong sell candidate, and the Wild Willys (which will stay) aren't exactly scale armour ;)

I did get as far as buying a King Yellow kit and the massive pile of bearings required for it, so I'm now trying to decide between selling it, or keeping hold of it & hoping I can get enthusiastic about building a Russian forestry inspired 6 wheeler to go with the Lunchkin Maz 537 ...  
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.