Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Restore a damaged Grasshopper body 6 years 1 month ago #48341

Hello,

First post here so please take it easy. :-)

I would like to restore a damaged Grasshopper body.

Basically I'm planing to strip the decals and paint, then try and 'fill in' the dents and scratches with putty then a good sanding at the end. Would Tamiya Basic Putty be up for this job or are there any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Restore a damaged Grasshopper body 6 years 1 month ago #48343

Welcome on tamiyabase.
I use automotive putty.
The following user(s) Liked this: 80sRC

Restore a damaged Grasshopper body 6 years 1 month ago #48352

I've used:

- automotive filler (Isopon & similar - stinky, great for bigger areas, mixing hassle = not so much on small jobs);

- Milliput (2-part epoxy putty - mixing can be hard work, and I find I need to wear gloves to avoid itchy palms, also best to wet it & get the surface/profile as close as possible as sanding is hard work, but very robust - best thing for "structural" filling if you know what I mean);

- Revell "Plasto" (stinks, mine separated in the tube so was very runny one end, very hard the other & only a small sweet spot - but robust & a very good colour/surface match to grey injection moulded kits);

- "Squadron" brand putty - my favourite, quick drying/easy sanding, use straight out of the tube - but not very robust, only really suitable for very fine work/thin skims IMO.

I've never used the Tamiya Basic putty, but it looks very much like the Revell stuff (and the the white variety looks the same, just a different colour) , the epoxy one more like Milliput ...

TBH it wouldn't be my first choice, but it ought to do the job. The white version might make painting easier later though.

:)

Restore a damaged Grasshopper body 6 years 1 month ago #48358

This is what I use, it’s automotive based, very good at filling scratches and dents tho not so good trying to fill actual holes(bigger than 2 or 3 mm)
No mixing required, just straight out the tube, as of yet I have not had any problems with consistency, top to bottom of tube
Very easy to sand and gives a good finish
Attachments:

Restore a damaged Grasshopper body 6 years 1 month ago #48359

To fill holes, I use loctite bicompound paste.
Attachments:

Restore a damaged Grasshopper body 6 years 1 month ago #48382

Thank you all for the input!

I think I will just give the Tamiya Putty (since I already have it) a try and see how it goes. It's mostly for scratches from the roof and dings from the corners of the body.

Cheers
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Last edit: by 80sRC.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.