Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Custom Hot Rod driver based on the Sand Rover Cowboy 5 years 6 months ago #51990

In one of my non Tamiya builds I need a driver.

Is the XR311 figure smaller than the Sand Rover Cowboy, or are they in similar size?

I need a full figure, so if the XR311 is smaller, I need to make legs for the Cowboy.
But what material is good to make legs of?
My vehicle will see trail time so the legs needs to be strong ish to hold up the jumping and bouncing.

I need a fairly quick replay as a mate will order some items tomorrow.

Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #51991

Hi there,
Yes the xr311 driver is smaller he is 1/12 scale and the rover driver is 1/10. Not sure where to find a full 1/10 driver other than the wild willy driver. The body is not a bad size only the helmet is over sized, with a different head it could work. The hilux driver could also be an other option but again a bit short in the legs. perhaps some wild willy lower legs grafted on these other drivers could fit the bill.....hmmmmm......not you have me thinking of trying this myself...:)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #51992

Richard look after a RAW catch figure. They are a good scale and articuled. I used my son's ones .

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #51993

I've grafted Wild Willy boots, gloves & helmet on to two 4x4 drivers, the boots are probably a bit large & silly looking if you're keeping the original 4x4 feet & head though. They do have the advantage of not needing any sculpting, I suspect if I tried to make my own they wouldn't come out that well :whistle:

If i was to try it though, I think I'd be looking at a basic armature from ABS sheet scraps (the shape of the sole/heel, and something to hold it in place), and a 2-part epoxy putty for the actual sculpting. Milliput Superfine White has a fairly long working time, especially if you wet it & get the approximate shape with fingers & tools. Once it's set it can be carved/machined/sanded. An alternative would be lots of layers of ABS bonded together, think 3D printing but without the 3d printer ;)

I'va also extended the legs & back/sides of a Sand Rover driver with Milliput ... theoretically, giving him a full set of limbs is different only in difficulty, not kind - but again I think I'd want to start with a transplant, although he really needs cowboy boots.

Good luck with it :)
Attachments:

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #51994

Also should confirm what Stingray said - the XR311 driver is way smaller, he's also redonkulously laid back & spread out - I had to give him a long extra bit of neck at the front, carve a lot of material off his hips, and use a hot air gun to change the knee angles, and bring his knees closer together. Does make a decent enough 1:12 truck driver though :)

ps the 1:14 tamiya driver figure is also accurately scaled - and even smaller therefore :)
Attachments:

Re:Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #51996

There is the Tamiya Bruiser driver and also the truck driver that looks like he is reading the newspaper on the loo.

using Tapatalk

Last edit: by waterbok.

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #51999

Awesome replys guys!!!

Sand Rover Cowboy it is then!
I have epoxy, styrene bits and bobs, so I should be able to come up with something, how it will look is a different matter LOL
Thank you very much Jonny for the idea :y: :y:

First time to use a full figure in my builds, so about time when I've been rc'ing for 28 years ha ha.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 5 months ago #52267

Got the Sand Rover Cowboy, think his name is Hank :laugh:

Had to do heavy surgy on him to fit the crawler seat.
Plan to build disk's in his body and fill it with hot glue, as I don't own 2k putty.
And then coat those parts with some plastic epoxy.

For the legs I used some styrene tube that I think will fit styrene disc's to, and the hot glue as the body.
Feet will be all styrene.

Think this will work...

Hopefully it will not look total s... in the end :laugh:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 5 months ago #52271

After thinking hard to how to make the legs and from what, I think I'm going to hot glue first then cover the hot glue with Tamiya Epoxy putty.
There are some shops around me that carry putty, or chemical metall etc, but it's either not good for your health, too qiuck drying time, or too expensive, or can't be applyed to certain materials, or all the above combined.

When it comes to paint, I really need to buy some paint for him as I only own:
X-3 Royal blue, XF-17 Flat Sea Blue, XF-58 Flat Olive Green.
PC-2 Red, PC-4 Blue, PC-7 Orange, PC-10 Purple, PC-13 Gold, PC-17 Metallic Green and PC-18 Metallic Purple.

Can flat clear be added in the paint to make gloss paints flat if they are of the same type? I.E X color added with flat clear to make it from gloss to clear?

Luckly I found a online shop not far from me that have good amount of Tamiya paints and Tamiya building supplies :y:

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 5 months ago #52277

I think you've done some excellent preliminary work there :y: ... but hot glue is so much the wrong stuff to use for modelmaking, there's a high risk on melting (or at least deforming) the styrene, at it doesn't stick long term, not even to itself. It's fine on carboard boxes (with tape backup) if hot enough, but that's about it.

I'd recommend Milliput as it's pretty safe (I do wear gloves for the initial mixing as It tends to give me itchy palms :huh: if not), you can do the quick, initial shaping it with your fingers, wet it & smooth it out with fingers or tools (hardening time varies, but reckon on 15 to 30 minutes, depending on temperature, freshness & size ... you can also carve it with files, powertools, scalpels etc when hard (overnight), probably just the thing for adding additional trouser creases. You can also stick stuff to it (epoxy or cyano) - e.g. fine copper wire for bootlaces? It even comes in a variety of colors.

If it's a problem of cost or availability, I'm quite happy to get a couple of fresh packs & send them on to you at my expense rather than see you bollocks it all up :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.