Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #52278

Can flat clear be added in the paint to make gloss paints flat if they are of the same type? I.E X color added with flat clear to make it from gloss to clear?

Very much so - though it does make the paint less dense ... a way round that is to let your X paint settle out, then extract the clear part before replacing it with the same amount fo flat clear ... or expect to do a few more coats than normal.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #52281

I think you've done some excellent preliminary work there :y: ... but hot glue is so much the wrong stuff to use for modelmaking, there's a high risk on melting (or at least deforming) the styrene, at it doesn't stick long term, not even to itself. It's fine on carboard boxes (with tape backup) if hot enough, but that's about it.

I'd recommend Milliput as it's pretty safe (I do wear gloves for the initial mixing as It tends to give me itchy palms :huh: if not), you can do the quick, initial shaping it with your fingers, wet it & smooth it out with fingers or tools (hardening time varies, but reckon on 15 to 30 minutes, depending on temperature, freshness & size ... you can also carve it with files, powertools, scalpels etc when hard (overnight), probably just the thing for adding additional trouser creases. You can also stick stuff to it (epoxy or cyano) - e.g. fine copper wire for bootlaces? It even comes in a variety of colors.

If it's a problem of cost or availability, I'm quite happy to get a couple of fresh packs & send them on to you at my expense rather than see you bollocks it all up :)

Just the man I hoped that would give me a guidance :y:

Hot glue is out then, so are the non hardning modelering clay I got in my stash, as it would be both impossible to coat and will still be soft under the "skin/clothes"-

Cost and availability is a problem yes, as there is practual no hobby or craft store that carry such items around my neck of woods.
But I did however find that the shop that carry the Tamiya Putty also carry Citadel Green Stuff, which I think is another go of other greenstuff I've heard of before.

Since I have never worked with neither of these items, I don't know how much I need for this project, or to have some leftover bits for another day..
Tamiya Epoxi Putty I see comes in 25g package and the Greenstuff in 20g.
Wich one would you recomend, and do I need more than one package?

Feel free to send me some, but you don't have to honestly.
Still have to shape the arms to fit, remove mould lines etc, and start on the shoes, so still have more work to my Cowboy before I really need the epoxy stuff.

Since I never painted a figure before, I also have to order, flat brown, white, black and flesh color, but price ob them are reasonable at a tad over 2 quid each, each of these items are allready on order.
Beside that I just need flat clear and the putty stuff.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #52282

Can flat clear be added in the paint to make gloss paints flat if they are of the same type? I.E X color added with flat clear to make it from gloss to clear?

Very much so - though it does make the paint less dense ... a way round that is to let your X paint settle out, then extract the clear part before replacing it with the same amount fo flat clear ... or expect to do a few more coats than normal.

Just what I hoped for :y: :y:

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #52292

But I did however find that the shop that carry the Tamiya Putty also carry Citadel Green Stuff, which I think is another go of other greenstuff I've heard of before.

Since I have never worked with neither of these items, I don't know how much I need for this project, or to have some leftover bits for another day..

I've never used either, but fro the descriptions & manufacturers I'm sure they would be suitable.

Quantities though, those really are tiny amounts compared to the rather peculiar 113.4g (just over 4oz) packs that Milliput comes in, I suppose that's down to the background of the companies, Games Workshop Warhammer 40K and Blood Bowl figures officially being 28mm "Heroic" scale (1:60 or 1:56 scale, but the "heroic" build means 1:35 is a better match), and Tamiya, no matter how much we focus on the RC side, I can't help thinking that it's very much an aftertought to them, making your own even more so (from the English translantion of Mr Tamiya's "Master Modeller" book it seems that the snap together mini 4WDs are the biggest seller, and his interest is very much in tanks - so 1:35 again).

I tend to mix up around 20g (10g of each stick) at a time, at a guess I would say each 20g batch would do one leg/foot, and you'd need another batch or two to fill the driver body out. So 4 packs of the Citadel or Tamiya brand.

I'm happy to send you a couple of packs of milliput (I'd suggest one of "standard" for bulk & one of "superfine" for the more visible areas, see www.milliput.com/index.html ), let me know if you want to go ahead (and PM me your address), time would probably be 2-3 days for it to get to me, maybe another 5 to get from me to you.

That's not a bad price for paints, I seem to remember Tamiya 10ml glass jars being 99p for about 30 years - very expensive in the 80s, less so in the 90s, reasonable in the 00s, and very good value in the early teenies .. until the recent "adjustments" started, they went up 70% overnight, then another 15%, and very recently, another 50 to 100% depending on supplier. You can still get them for around 2GBP from a very limited number of suppliers, but for a single jar, you're looking at 4 to 6 GBP. Again that's posted, no idea about instore prices as I'd have to drive for an hour each way at least to find an actual model shop now :(
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 6 months ago #52297

I've never used either, but fro the descriptions & manufacturers I'm sure they would be suitable.

Quantities though, those really are tiny amounts compared to the rather peculiar 113.4g (just over 4oz) packs that Milliput comes in, I suppose that's down to the background of the companies, Games Workshop Warhammer 40K and Blood Bowl figures officially being 28mm "Heroic" scale (1:60 or 1:56 scale, but the "heroic" build means 1:35 is a better match), and Tamiya, no matter how much we focus on the RC side, I can't help thinking that it's very much an aftertought to them, making your own even more so (from the English translantion of Mr Tamiya's "Master Modeller" book it seems that the snap together mini 4WDs are the biggest seller, and his interest is very much in tanks - so 1:35 again).

I tend to mix up around 20g (10g of each stick) at a time, at a guess I would say each 20g batch would do one leg/foot, and you'd need another batch or two to fill the driver body out. So 4 packs of the Citadel or Tamiya brand.

I'm happy to send you a couple of packs of milliput (I'd suggest one of "standard" for bulk & one of "superfine" for the more visible areas, see www.milliput.com/index.html ), let me know if you want to go ahead (and PM me your address), time would probably be 2-3 days for it to get to me, maybe another 5 to get from me to you.

That's not a bad price for paints, I seem to remember Tamiya 10ml glass jars being 99p for about 30 years - very expensive in the 80s, less so in the 90s, reasonable in the 00s, and very good value in the early teenies .. until the recent "adjustments" started, they went up 70% overnight, then another 15%, and very recently, another 50 to 100% depending on supplier. You can still get them for around 2GBP from a very limited number of suppliers, but for a single jar, you're looking at 4 to 6 GBP. Again that's posted, no idea about instore prices as I'd have to drive for an hour each way at least to find an actual model shop now :(

I love all the helpful inputs sir :y: :y:

The shop I'm speaking of is located in the same city as our Chief, Lars btw :y:
Location of that shop is also about an hour from me, the next one is about 2 hours the other directions, and just carry rc stuff.
My LHS which are norway's bigges hobby shop, mostly carriy planes, drones and rc stuff.
It's only located 6-7 miles from me, handy if I just need some small bits'n bobs.
They also carry a bit plastic kits, but not much of related supplies, plastic paint is very limited in selection, and most are in spray forms.
The only epoxy they carry is the 2 part Zap line, which are like fluid.

Regarding the cost of those small paint bottles in the other shop, their price for each one is even lower than the ebay items I've found, minus the shipping ofcoure.
Shipping from my paint shop is about 3.5 quid up to mid size parcels, also reasonable because normal norwegian shipping cost from most places are way steeper.

Btw, fired a PM your way Jonny ;)
When I see your name I allways think of my late dad, as in his early years was named Jonny, but later changed it to Johnny.
I think he wanted a change as he was at the sea up till he got married with my mum.
Maybe Johnny was more used back then abroad, don't really know.

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 5 months ago #52757

Finally feeling well enough to start on my rod driver again.

Thanks to Jonathan (Jonny Retro) he sent me some milliput to try out.

Started first with the standard green milliput to fill a bit of his back and legs.
Need to take it in steps so he still will fit the seat.

And what do a cowboy wear on his feets?
Cowboy boots ofcourse, you silly :silly:
I started with a styrene base, shaped to the basic shape and added a styrene rod that goes into his legs.
Don't like boots on the outside of the troursers, so I will shape most of the boots and finally cover them with his trousers down to the ankles .

Something to drink while your working is a good idea too :y:

Looks like he is a Netherland driver after all :laugh:

Nope he is American :lol:

Right now he seems to have stolen the boots from Goofy, so they need more shaping and filling in the right places, but I'm getting there :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Sand Rover vs XR311 figure size. 5 years 5 months ago #52758

A very nice work on this cowboy. I live that.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.